WaysOfTheFork
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I'm currently studying history at Coventry University, not to toot my own horn, but I'm a consistent 1st Class student. I'm considering applying to OXford for an ma in history. What's the application process like and, if anyone knows, what's it like at Balliol college? Thanks.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WaysOfTheFork)
Hi. I'm currently studying history at Coventry University, not to toot my own horn, but I'm a consistent 1st Class student. I'm considering applying to OXford for an ma in history. What's the application process like and, if anyone knows, what's it like at Balliol college? Thanks.
The PG application process is very different from the UG one. All applications are handled by the academic department in the first instance, and the colleges only consider them much later on, when they decide what places they can offer for a given course.
There are usually several department application deadlines through the year, but - again, unlike UG applications - they dont seem to operate to a deadline to tell applicants whether or not they have a place. Similarly, you may not hear from the college until very late in the process. My daughter only discovered her allocated college (not the one she applied for) about 6 weeks before the start of the course, when she was cc-ed into an email describing the Hall menu for the coming term. That was also the moment she learnt she hadn't been awarded a scholarship.
In short, things might have improved a lot in the last year, but don't count on it. The PG thread might give you a more balanced and up-to-date perspective https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...e#post91551430
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WaysOfTheFork)
You should read—carefully read—everything the history faculty website has to say about applications for graduate study, as that will fill you in on deadlines, the materials you’ll need &c.

The most important deadline for most humanities master’s courses is usually early in the new year—this is usually the deadline you need to apply by to be considered for funding. Assuming this holds true for history, this means you will need to set about thinking about references, writing samples and your statement of purpose sharpish in the next few months if you wish to apply this year.

Funding for humanities master’s courses is rare, and most pots of money are distributed in a merit-based rather than needs-based way. If you’re getting consistent first-class marks, you have interesting ideas for further study which suit the MSt course, and you actively want to continue studying, it’s worth applying because you might win funding... but do grasp how competitive funding is.

Balliol is, by all accounts, a happy place to be. But it’s probably best not to get too focused on the colleges, because for postgraduates the colleges are accommodation providers and social contexts rather than core teaching providers (which is what they are for the undergraduates), and because many people wind up at colleges other than the one to which they applied. If you do an MSt in history you will probably find that your primary academic-social context is your faculty. All of that said, if you like the idea of Balliol then sure, put it down on the form.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed