Changing uni after first year. Is it worth it?

Watch
Mulue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello People,

Hope you all are well and safe!

I got ABB in my a level and I am at Brunel. But I kinda want to change to a better uni. Is it possible to transfer to another uni after the first year if i get a good grade like first class or upper second class? if so, would it be worth it?

Please help..thank you so much in advance!!
Last edited by Mulue; 1 month ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mulue)
Hello People,

Hope you all are well and safe!

I got ABB in my a level and I am at Brunel. But I kinda want to change to a better uni. Is it possible to transfer to another uni after the first year if i get a good grade like first class or upper second class? if so, would it be worth it?

Please help..thank so much in advance!!
If you are unhappy and you feel the copurse isnt stretching you?
Whether its worth it depends on your assessed pros and cons of malong the effort and its also a bit of a leap of faith.

There are too many inknowns about how you will do at current uni, social life, where you will get offers from, where you apply etc.

You need to do your research and weigh things up properly.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424
Mulue
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
If you are unhappy and you feel the copurse isnt stretching you?
Whether its worth it depends on your assessed pros and cons of malong the effort and its also a bit of a leap of faith.

There are too many inknowns about how you will do at current uni, social life, where you will get offers from, where you apply etc.

You need to do your research and weigh things up properly.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1
Yes i guess you could say that the course is not stretching me enough. I have never struggled to study hard before but now everything seems just dull.. it kind of got to the point that i cant even focus.
Thank you for your help though!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) Any 'better' Uni will expect you to meet their A level entry requirements and to have done a first year that matches theirs in terms of content.
2) Whatever issues you have at Brunel, you'll take them with you.
3) You've only been there 5 minutes and in a covid year. Its hardly a fair judge of any University.
5) Not stretching you enough? Have you read everything on the reading list, followed up all interesting citations and done all the further reading possible? Nope, This isnt school. You have to make your own learning, you are not going to get spoon fed. Time for you to switch attitude.
4) Feeling 'I could have done better at my A levels and gone to a posher Uni' is usually a bit pointless. You life will not be any 'better' short term or long term. A degree is what you make it. So stop feeling resentful and just get on with the course.

All sounds a bit 'mean'? No, just realism.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mulue)
Yes i guess you could say that the course is not stretching me enough. I have never struggled to study hard before but now everything seems just dull.. it kind of got to the point that i cant even focus.
Thank you for your help though!
This year is extraordinary. As I said weigh up the pros and cons of moving and do them properly.
You can apply for the other unis and have nothing to lose, so if it depends on who or if anyone makes you an offer and you have serious doubts, then imo go for it and dont sell yourself short by never finding out. Being told to just get on with it and that you will have the same issues at any other uni as you currently have with Brunel is clearly wrong.

When you go to uni you get one gift year, meaning if it turns out you really dislike the course, then you can be funded for a fresh degree as long as you dont enter year 2 and you havent used any other uni funding.

There is no downside to following both paths to keep your options open by making the best of where you are, but also seeing if you get other offers.
When you know, then you can make your own mind up as to the best choice for you, rather than ruling things out before you have to.
Mulue
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
This year is extraordinary. As I said weigh up the pros and cons of moving and do them properly.
You can apply for the other unis and have nothing to lose, so if it depends on who or if anyone makes you an offer and you have serious doubts, then imo go for it and dont sell yourself short by never finding out. Being told to just get on with it and that you will have the same issues at any other uni as you currently have with Brunel is clearly wrong.

When you go to uni you get one gift year, meaning if it turns out you really dislike the course, then you can be funded for a fresh degree as long as you dont enter year 2 and you havent used any other uni funding.

There is no downside to following both paths to keep your options open by making the best of where you are, but also seeing if you get other offers.
When you know, then you can make your own mind up as to the best choice for you, rather than ruling things out before you have to.
I really appreciate your help and I will definitely do my research. Thank you so much again!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.24%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.56%

Watched Threads