unsure what to do - why can't the kid be taken to court?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A 14 year old boy has break my car with a hammer, whole windows is smash at around 7pm. He did it to show off to his friends. He ran away after the incident. However, he was caught on CCTV and was caught by the police later on.

Police later come to my house to take reference. He said no payment will be made to the repair cost because the family is from low-income and on benefits. The parent is a single mom with 3 child. The police gave me advice which is to get them to write a sorry letter and that is all. The letter was made and it was just a sentence, and seem to be written by two person judging from the handwriting. I did not find it very honest, i'd like the parent to come face to face to apology rather than this. However, the police closed the file and won't be looking back and ignored my calls through 101.

I found this a complete joke because the police won't punish the kids or take him to court. I wanted him to be punished for 1 week at a teenager jail but this didn't happen. The police said that would ruin the kid's future and will be on his record ... won't be able to get any job .. and later on he will regret it when grow up.. and blah blah.

Who is the wrong here?
ghjajkfa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He would unlikely be sent to jail if that is his only offence so what punishment you want does not really factor into it. The police won't divulge much about his history to you but if that is the punishment then it is highly likely that the child hasn't really had any trouble with the police before. In terms of paying for the damage, this was never going to happen because there is no legal basis for this under the age of 18.

Possibly you signed something to say that you agreed with the letter of apology or you were explained it. What he has got is essentially a community resolution which means that they will not reopen the case because it has been concluded and by agreeing to the letter of apology you forfeit the right to make any further complaint.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The police don't take people to court; the decision to charge, or not, is made by the Crown Prosecution Service. There are guidelines to be followed for hoe cases are treated, particularly for minors.

If you don't like the letter, why do you think a face-to-face apigy would be sincere? What good do you think 7 days in a detention facility would do? Try a civil claim if you want repayment.

101 isn't the number to call to pursue this; don't take up the line for people who need to report incidents, contact the local HQ.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
The police don't take people to court; the decision to charge, or not, is made by the Crown Prosecution Service. There are guidelines to be followed for hoe cases are treated, particularly for minors.

If you don't like the letter, why do you think a face-to-face apigy would be sincere? What good do you think 7 days in a detention facility would do? Try a civil claim if you want repayment.

101 isn't the number to call to pursue this; don't take up the line for people who need to report incidents, contact the local HQ.
7 days in detention would send a message to the group of young people. There have been lot of kids 13-17 around throwing bricks and rocks a few other times. Nothing is done. Luckily the one who broke my car was caught this time, I lived in a rough area and I feel like the police is discriminating against my background (international) as they are not punishing the people at fault and just letting them go. I feel the parents do not care as well. The letter alone does not seem sincere compared to face to face. I want to get the kids send to court as he has the intention of destroying the property without realising any consequences but the police stand on his side by just getting a letter of apology and case closed. So I have to pay for the repair from my own pocket. Shouldn't the parent be responsible too? Evidence was caught in CCTV - I plan to report a complaint to the police officer who was in charge of this case.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ghjajkfa)
He would unlikely be sent to jail if that is his only offence so what punishment you want does not really factor into it. The police won't divulge much about his history to you but if that is the punishment then it is highly likely that the child hasn't really had any trouble with the police before. In terms of paying for the damage, this was never going to happen because there is no legal basis for this under the age of 18.

Possibly you signed something to say that you agreed with the letter of apology or you were explained it. What he has got is essentially a community resolution which means that they will not reopen the case because it has been concluded and by agreeing to the letter of apology you forfeit the right to make any further complaint.
how so. If i break someone property or by accident, i would still pay for it. But someone have the intention of destroying my car for fun, before this happens the kids been throwing eggs and rocks but the police didn't catch them until this time they did when they use weapon(hammer) on it.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
7 days in detention would send a message to the group of young people. There have been lot of kids 13-17 around throwing bricks and rocks a few other times. Nothing is done. Luckily the one who broke my car was caught this time, I lived in a rough area and I feel like the police is discriminating against my background (international) as they are not punishing the people at fault and just letting them go. I feel the parents do not care as well. The letter alone does not seem sincere compared to face to face. I want to get the kids send to court as he has the intention of destroying the property without realising any consequences but the police stand on his side by just getting a letter of apology and case closed. So I have to pay for the repair from my own pocket. Shouldn't the parent be responsible too? Evidence was caught in CCTV - I plan to report a complaint to the police officer who was in charge of this case.
What have your insurers said?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
String him up by his feet and dangle him above a pack of wolves. Leave him there and see if he's scrappy enough to find a way out.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Welcome to lawless Britain
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A 14 year old boy has break my car with a hammer, whole windows is smash at around 7pm. He did it to show off to his friends. He ran away after the incident. However, he was caught on CCTV and was caught by the police later on.

Police later come to my house to take reference. He said no payment will be made to the repair cost because the family is from low-income and on benefits. The parent is a single mom with 3 child. The police gave me advice which is to get them to write a sorry letter and that is all. The letter was made and it was just a sentence, and seem to be written by two person judging from the handwriting. I did not find it very honest, i'd like the parent to come face to face to apology rather than this. However, the police closed the file and won't be looking back and ignored my calls through 101.

I found this a complete joke because the police won't punish the kids or take him to court. I wanted him to be punished for 1 week at a teenager jail but this didn't happen. The police said that would ruin the kid's future and will be on his record ... won't be able to get any job .. and later on he will regret it when grow up.. and blah blah.

Who is the wrong here?
I believe that you can sue the parents (small claims process), which may serve to get them to take it more seriously, but you probably won't get the money in one go (or reasonable time). It might make you feel better though.

What has your insurance company said?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.58%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.25%

Watched Threads