Can you recommend a USB micro phone cable that doesn't bleedin fail after a while

Watch
caravaggio2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My experience of usb micro cables for my android phone is they start out great, but after a while of use, and I'm not talking about tying them in knots or using them as a dog lead, just the usual sitting with the phone in your lap or lying in bed with the lead in, they fail in the first couple of inches where the cable tends to bend as it comes away from the phone, due to you using the phone while charging.
I'm on my 4th different make now and all have failed in the same way.
Unfortunately my phone is a Moto G5 (by choice as i love it) so i cant really avoid using it without the cable in for much of the time as the battery isn't the best in the world.
Any advice is welcomed
Thanks
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you are absolutely right, I have some IoT (internet of things) gear which are powered by micro-USB, both the plugs and the sockets on the hardware have failed over time, and I have replaced both, but it's not easy. Plus these IoT things hardly ever move, but still fail - the usb design is presumably designed to fail, like the 1900's Light Bulb scandal (consortium designed incandescent bulbs to deliberately fail, for profit)

I'd suggest in your next Android phone, that you choose one with Qi charging (Qi (pronounced CHEE; from the Chinese word qi; traditional Chinese: 氣) is an open interface standard that defines wireless power transfer using inductive charging over distances of up to 4 cm (1.6 inches), developed by the Wireless Power Consortium. The system uses a charging pad and a compatible device, which is placed on top of the pad, charging via resonant inductive coupling)
as you can still use the micro-usb from time to time, but just charge by placing on a small mat, reduces much of the strain & prolongs life of USB & cable.
inductive charging has its own problems, but contactless means much less strain on the interfaces.

Alternatively, Amazon Basics micro-USB are quite decent
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
MicroUSB isn't considered the most robust connector, and in all honesty using the phone while charging isn't going to help matters. This is less about finding a robust cable and more about your use case, bending cables causes damage.

One option may be to look at a longer cable, so that you can let it dangle more freely rather than sharply bend it. Alternatively, the root cause seems to be battery life, so a battery replacement would indirectly fix your cable problem. Or maybe get a battery phone case. It'll make your phone more bulky, but again battery life will be improved and you won't be using it while plugged in. Ultimately though you're going to have a hard time finding a decent cable if you keep bending them, as inevitably it will cause damage.

Or the really extreme case, use your phone less.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (895)
42.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads