Please help me answer this a level geo past question

Watch
Georgelennon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Explain how community preparedness and aid may reduce the impacts of hydro meteorological disasters?
cheeseontoasty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hydro meteorological disasters like flooding?

community preparedness and aid can both help. If a community is prepared they might have installed flood defences, such as tidal flood barriers, diversion canals, etc, which can all reduce the impact of rising water. Additionally development of better flood forecast systems will help, and make sure the government and community can put extra temporary contingency measures in place in good time, for example, deployment of sandbags outside people's homes.

Aid can help a government or community who wouldn't be able to afford such measures be able to possibly afford/build them. Also, after the flood/tsunami/hurricane, communities may be left with many people who are vulnerable and in need of food, clean water, and shelter. International aid from governments and organisations is often given to help in these circumstances.

Find some examples to back it up of course! For example hurricane Katrina, or more recently the 2017 South Asian Floods, or look at UK flood defences and how they've changed and upgraded over the years.

- also sorry if this isn't much help, I'm not a tutor or anything, just suggesting possible things to talk about!
Last edited by cheeseontoasty; 1 month ago
Georgelennon
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheeseontoasty)

community preparedness and aid can both help. If a community is prepared they might have installed flood defences, such as tidal flood barriers, diversion canals, etc, which can all reduce the impact of rising water. Additionally development of better flood forecast systems will help, and make sure the government and community can put extra temporary contingency measures in place in good time, for example, deployment of sandbags outside people's homes.

Aid can help a government or community who wouldn't be able to afford such measures be able to possibly afford/build them. Also, after the flood/tsunami/hurricane, communities may be left with many people who are vulnerable and in need of food, clean water, and shelter. International aid from governments and organisations is often given to help in these circumstances.

Find some examples to back it up of course! For example hurricane Katrina, or more recently the 2017 South Asian Floods, or look at UK flood defences and how they've changed and upgraded over the years.

- also sorry if this isn't much help, I'm not a tutor or anything, just suggesting possible things to talk about!
Thank you so much. I have managed to hit the nail on the head because I managed to include a lot of your points. I was a bit worried if my answer wasn't too convincing but I had a case study of flood that happened in Bangladesh in 2007. They even have a website called pledge something dot com. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question
Georgelennon
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheeseontoasty)

I managed to hit the nail on the head in pretty much all the points you gave me(I did prior research on this). I included a case study of a flood that happened in Bangladesh and how to they cope with it. I was worried if I was going off tangents but I got it finally. Thank you so much. It was a lot of help.
cheeseontoasty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Georgelennon)
Thank you so much. I have managed to hit the nail on the head because I managed to include a lot of your points. I was a bit worried if my answer wasn't too convincing but I had a case study of flood that happened in Bangladesh in 2007. They even have a website called pledge something dot com. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question
No worries at all! Best of luck for the rest of your studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.18%
No - I have already returned home (52)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
19.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (117)
29.18%

Watched Threads