Did anyone else absolutely hate working at Tesco?

Watch
jessicaelliot97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Honestly, it wasn't that bad until Covid came along. But once the bulk buying phase started people began to behave absolutely horrifically. Customers would scream and swear at me daily. My colleagues were actually being physically assaulted. Management didn't care whatsoever. They provided no support to their staff. They only had the customer in mind, even when we were being treated disgustingly. Working in Tesco over lockdown was detrimental to my psychological well-being. Because so many staff were 'shielding', they rotad me into work every single day (sometimes 8-10 days in a row). They had no regard for how this would affect me and whenever I raised concerns with managers they brushed me off. You feel unappreciated, overworked, and are treated like a replaceable, unimportant clog in a machine. I left a few months ago because I just couldn't handle it anymore. What I initially started was meant to be a small, part-time job to have whilst at college. But it soon became an 80 hour workweek (starting at 5am and finishing at 10pm, unable to say no). They take advantage of workers, manipulating you into thinking that they should be the priority in your life. They'll work you until burnout with no care as to the damage on your mental/physical health. It's a chaotic, toxic environment that still fills me with dread whenever I contemplate it.
I'd urge anyone considering applying over Christmas to look elsewhere.

Has anybody else got horror stories from having the displeasure of working at Tesco?
Last edited by jessicaelliot97; 1 month ago
Tracey_W
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jessicaelliot97)
Honestly, it wasn't that bad until Covid came along. But once the bulk buying phase started people began to behave absolutely horrifically. Customers would scream and swear at me daily. My colleagues were actually being physically assaulted. Management didn't care whatsoever. They provided no support to their staff. They only had the customer in mind, even when we were being treated disgustingly. Working in Tesco over lockdown was detrimental to my psychological well-being. Because so many staff were 'shielding', they rotad me into work every single day (sometimes 8-10 days in a row). They had no regard for how this would affect me and whenever I raised concerns with managers they brushed me off. You feel unappreciated, overworked, and are treated like a replaceable, unimportant clog in a machine. I left a few months ago because I just couldn't handle it anymore. What I initially started was meant to be a small, part-time job to have whilst at college. But it soon became an 80 hour workweek (starting at 5am and finishing at 10pm, unable to say no). They take advantage of workers, manipulating you into thinking that they should be the priority in your life. They'll work you until burnout with no care as to the damage on your mental/physical health. It's a chaotic, toxic environment that still fills me with dread whenever I contemplate it.

Has anybody else got horror stories from having the displeasure of working at Tesco?
Well I think you are absolutely wrong about things in tesco okay .

Management do care about the well being of staff as if you had issues why didn't you not take thing's up with the union to investigate it for you but obviously you didn't,
You must been a disgrace working for tesco with attitude like that because not everyone was treated like how you said of them as must had just been you who thought like this,

I can't think of any customers who swore or scream at me when in working there on shift as we where treated like normal humans with praise from the public for working through this covid19.

Now it was upto you to say no to working everyday but you took the money for going into do these hours, but yes you can say NO to them as they can't make you work every hour of the day / week , no they don't take advantage of staff ok,
Okay majority of staff was shielding but that's why tesco like others places did a massive job recruitment to have plenty cover for any inconvenience to there working capabilities.

If anybody wants a job in tesco then do Apply for it as its not anything like what this person said about it believe me on this ok as been there long enough to know what they are like.

Plenty opportunities in promotion if you willing to go for it .
jessicaelliot97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Well I think you are absolutely wrong about things in tesco okay .

Management do care about the well being of staff as if you had issues why didn't you not take thing's up with the union to investigate it for you but obviously you didn't,
You must been a disgrace working for tesco with attitude like that because not everyone was treated like how you said of them as must had just been you who thought like this,

I can't think of any customers who swore or scream at me when in working there on shift as we where treated like normal humans with praise from the public for working through this covid19.

Now it was upto you to say no to working everyday but you took the money for going into do these hours, but yes you can say NO to them as they can't make you work every hour of the day / week , no they don't take advantage of staff ok,
Okay majority of staff was shielding but that's why tesco like others places did a massive job recruitment to have plenty cover for any inconvenience to there working capabilities.

If anybody wants a job in tesco then do Apply for it as its not anything like what this person said about it believe me on this ok as been there long enough to know what they are like.

Plenty opportunities in promotion if you willing to go for it .
Tracey, you're either a troll or one of the stuck up managers/colleagues I mentioned in my original post.
Tracey_W
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tracey, you're either a troll or one of the stuck up managers/colleagues I mentioned in my original post.
Nope neither of these

Just like your a humble worker at tesco doing my job as T/Leader, not came across anything like what you saying about them in store where I'm in.

Its how you treat people while in store that make things easy to sort out not like some places where there was no control of things .
One thing I always do is speak my mind to management of I think there's a problem and usually its dealt with without any problems.
Last edited by Tracey_W; 1 month ago
SmartUnicorn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope neither of these

Just like your a humble worker at tesco doing my job as T/Leader, not came across anything like what you saying about them in store where I'm in.

Its how you treat people while in store that make things easy to sort out not like some places where there was no control of things .
One thing I always do is speak my mind to management of I think there's a problem and usually its dealt with without any problems.
Different places, different experiences. You can’t just say that stuff never happened when you haven’t been there. I have seen customers swear at workers before too so...
jessicaelliot97
Rep:
?
Nope neither of these

Well, Tracey you're lucky to be in a store where customers and managers alike have been quite respectful. As I have already mentioned, my colleagues and I have been spat at as well as verbally and physically assaulted, with managers providing little support or understanding. To brush off what I am saying merely because you haven't experienced it in your own store/area is just showing your ignorance.
Last edited by jessicaelliot97; 1 month ago
andysmith1998
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope neither of these

Sorry Tracey but you're making yourself sound stupid. I've been a team leader on checkouts at Tesco for the last four years and I have to admit the amount of abuse we've been getting over these past few months due to covid has been utterly disgraceful. I've had teenage girls to grown adult men in tears during a shift because of customers shouting and bawling abuse. I can only echo what jessicaelliot97 has said in that you're lucky to be in a store that sounds pretty calm. I work in an Extra store in the city and it has been the most challenging few months of my working life
Last edited by andysmith1998; 1 month ago
Ne en mia nomo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

You absolutely don't have to work shifts that go over your contractual hours, it's your own choice to accept or to refuse them, don't blame Tesco for you not being able to stand up for yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed