Teacher always ignores me?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So this year in English, I'm in a new class with a completely new teacher and students, which is fine.

But I honestly feel so unhappy and excluded. Like obviously, I'm simply here to LEARN, not make friends with the teacher or anything. But whenever I email her, she never replies. Today in online learning, she told us to write down our answers in the chat and she read and acknowledged everyone's answer but mine. And she also said something like "Oh great! There's 6 of us here now" even though it was 7 including me. One time I tried to ask hr a question in class about an exam, and she pretty much ignored my question and cut it short but spent like 10 mins talking to a different student?

I know it's a stupid complaint but it's honestly so discouraging that I can't even get through to this teacher at all when she's not like that with everyone.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So this year in English, I'm in a new class with a completely new teacher and students, which is fine.

But I honestly feel so unhappy and excluded. Like obviously, I'm simply here to LEARN, not make friends with the teacher or anything. But whenever I email her, she never replies. Today in online learning, she told us to write down our answers in the chat and she read and acknowledged everyone's answer but mine. And she also said something like "Oh great! There's 6 of us here now" even though it was 7 including me. One time I tried to ask hr a question in class about an exam, and she pretty much ignored my question and cut it short but spent like 10 mins talking to a different student?

I know it's a stupid complaint but it's honestly so discouraging that I can't even get through to this teacher at all when she's not like that with everyone.
This is definitely very odd behaviour. I think you should try talking to her about it, perhaps at the end of the lesson when the other students have gone. Tell her that you feel excluded and give her examples e.g. counting 6 people when you were there too. If she still excludes or or dismisses you, then go higher up as it sounds like she is deliberately excluding you.
Catsarepurrfect
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you by any chance a minority? If yes, is it possible that she is discriminating you?
macrophage
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually had this happen a few months back, my new teacher literally said hi to everyone on the call except me, and never replied to my emails. But I kept trying to get her attention, I stayed back after class to ask questions and worked my *ss off getting the best marks I could in her class. I later learned the reason it seemed like she was ignoring me was because she'd taught everyone else in that class for about 5 years already so knew them all better than me, so maybe there's something like that happening in your class too.
But now I get along ok with this teacher, we talk and she has helped me with my personal statement as well
Basically, don't give up and put in the effort! I know how horrible it feels, if all else fails bring it up with her alone
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Catsarepurrfect)
Are you by any chance a minority? If yes, is it possible that she is discriminating you?
Well, yeah. My dad is Persian and my mum is Pakistani. My teacher is white and she does seem to get on more with the white students in the class, but obviously, I don't want to assume anything, it might just be the student's personality. I think there are 2 other brown people in my class - a boy and a girl. She doesn't particularly talk to them a lot but doesn't really exclude them. So I'm not sure if that's the case or not.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by macrophage)
I actually had this happen a few months back, my new teacher literally said hi to everyone on the call except me, and never replied to my emails. But I kept trying to get her attention, I stayed back after class to ask questions and worked my *ss off getting the best marks I could in her class. I later learned the reason it seemed like she was ignoring me was because she'd taught everyone else in that class for about 5 years already so knew them all better than me, so maybe there's something like that happening in your class too.
But now I get along ok with this teacher, we talk and she has helped me with my personal statement as well
Basically, don't give up and put in the effort! I know how horrible it feels, if all else fails bring it up with her alone
I thought that was the reason as well but she's known this class for around 1 academic year including online learning last year. So it's not like she has a really deep bond with them or anything. I would try that but it just makes me feel like I'm annoying and excluded because I've probably sent her 9+ emails because I had several questions when I transferred to her class but she barely ever replies. I think I might just ignore it, to be honest. I tried to be more active and participate more because that's always been a weakness of mine, but I think I might just back off
deborahhicks3830
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, yeah. My dad is Persian and my mum is Pakistani. My teacher is white and she does seem to get on more with the white students in the class, but obviously, I don't want to assume anything, it might just be the student's personality. I think there are 2 other brown people in my class - a boy and a girl. She doesn't particularly talk to them a lot but doesn't really exclude them. So I'm not sure if that's the case or not.
I hope it's not the case because she could be in serious trouble if it is the case. Talk to her directly maybe, be forward
Anonymous #1
(Original post by deborahhicks3830)
I hope it's not the case because she could be in serious trouble if it is the case. Talk to her directly maybe, be forward
I'm really bad at any type of confrontation to be honest
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Definitely discrimination or just plain ignorance. If this is the case file a report or ask to change classes. You shouldn't have to put up with it.
TSKR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Weellllll maybe this teacher has a reason to not listen to you?
Ne en mia nomo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm really bad at any type of confrontation to be honest
Don't frame it as a confrontation, at least not just now, more like a discussion. Tell her that you feel excluded, give examples and ask her why she reacts like that. Ask if you did anything that offended her, (and don't forget to apologize if that's the case) maybe you need to re-word your emails for example.
Last edited by Ne en mia nomo; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TSKR)
Weellllll maybe this teacher has a reason to not listen to you?
No, of course. I totally understand that. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes and I can be annoying sometimes. But at the end of the day, she's getting paid to teach the class. And that includes everyone. I think completely disregarding a student's existence as a whole isn't right.
macrophage
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought that was the reason as well but she's known this class for around 1 academic year including online learning last year. So it's not like she has a really deep bond with them or anything. I would try that but it just makes me feel like I'm annoying and excluded because I've probably sent her 9+ emails because I had several questions when I transferred to her class but she barely ever replies. I think I might just ignore it, to be honest. I tried to be more active and participate more because that's always been a weakness of mine, but I think I might just back off
Have you met this teacher in person yet or is it purely online teaching?
jessicaelliot97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like she has no respect for you. Speak to your guidance teacher
Anonymous #1
(Original post by macrophage)
Have you met this teacher in person yet or is it purely online teaching?
Yeah, I've met her too
macrophage
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I've met her too
Ah ok
I've always found it easier to make a good impression on someone in person
Maybe you could talk to her in person? Doesn't have to be confrontational, maybe just ask her some questions, it's much harder to ignore someone when they're standing right in front of you lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (723)
41.46%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (348)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed