Turn on thread page Beta

Trying to make my friend more sociable at uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im making my best friend a "Uni kit" for her birthday but not 100% sure what to put in it... The main objective of the kit is to make her more sociable as she feels she isnt being as sociable as she wishes, I think that drinking is probably the best way to be sociable so am getting things like Shot glasses, Sum kind of spirit, Drinking game set but not to sure what else?! It doesnt strictly have to be alcohol/drinking related but anything ideas that would make things easier for her would be great! Thanks dudes

ReputationRep:
    isn't that rather patronising...

Monopoly or Twister? A big tin of chocolates?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Airport fairy, a productive reply!

ReputationRep:
    what about vouchers for the cinema - but she has to go with someone she's never been to the cinema with before. You could get 4 or 5 vouchers so she has to go with a group of people.

Or make a series of cards, she has to pick one at random every day and do what ever it says, could be "talk to someone on your course you have not spoken to before", "make coffee for everyone in your flat / adjacent rooms", "make chocolate brownies and deliver them to people in halls"

OK she may need to have a drink before hand but if you do say 30 cards, by the time she has got through them she'll be more sociable.

ReputationRep:
    Board games, magnetic darts board, miniture ping-pong table, etc... anything that encourages people round to have a natter generally.

As you say alcohol usually does this, but the lastability is questionable, and in anycase you need something to initiate a drinking session.

ReputationRep:
    Play games, go out and drink, shopping, go to the SU, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Monopoly?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timgrenham)
    Monopoly?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    nnooooo!!

ReputationRep:
    get her a bottle and spin it

ReputationRep:
    Twister

ReputationRep:
    I have a Twister duvet cover.

So should everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Is uni really all about drinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matrixman397)
    Is uni really all about drinking?

It's not a neccessary condition, but when trying to make someone more sociable, it certainly helps to make someone a little more relaxed, and more likely to enter in a social situation.

Just drinking for the shear sake of drinking isn't much fun; alcohol-fuelled games can lead to good entertainment value, and is a good way to make some friends, as most of the time you instantly have a talking point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    It's not a neccessary condition, but when trying to make someone more sociable, it certainly helps to make someone a little more relaxed, and more likely to enter in a social situation.

Just drinking for the shear sake of drinking isn't much fun; alcohol-fuelled games can lead to good entertainment value, and is a good way to make some friends, as most of the time you instantly have a talking point.
    Fair enough, just me don' drink. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    if she's not good in social situations, getting her drunk could lead to some serious humiliation. not to mention damage if she drinks more than her body's used to.

*cough*

lecture over.

i found that the only thing that helped my social life at uni was learning to talk to strangers. every stranger i can find. at any opportunity. maybe telling her this/ giving her some inspirational writing to boost her self-esteem would be more helpful in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Buy quite a few games, like peeps mentioned above, then organise a suprise party with loads of people in it. That'll rock right! :cool:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.