User_0192
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi currently I am studying Mechanical engineering but I am thinking about changing to aerospace.

The reason behind this is the modules for aerospace look more interesting and If I want to do engineering career I want to do aerospace related work.
Although it is possible to work as a aerospace engineer with a mechanical engineering degree

However with a mechanical engineering degree I could maybe find something else that I have an interest towards rather than aerospace.
What should I do? Should I change?

Thank you
UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User_0192)
Hi currently I am studying Mechanical engineering but I am thinking about changing to aerospace.

The reason behind this is the modules for aerospace look more interesting and If I want to do engineering career I want to do aerospace related work.
Although it is possible to work as a aerospace engineer with a mechanical engineering degree

However with a mechanical engineering degree I could maybe find something else that I have an interest towards rather than aerospace.
What should I do? Should I change?

Thank you
Hi there,

I want you to know I was in the same position when I was applying for engineering courses. I ended up choosing aerospace over mechanical for the more interesting modules and potential career options that I was considering after graduating. Some aerospace course now implement pilots studies along side the modules.

You are also right in saying you can leave uni with a mechanical engineering degree and work in the aerospace industry. They share common modules.

Let me know if you want to know more on student life, or if you would like information on the engineering courses UCLan can offer.

Best wishes
Zach
User_0192
Rep:
?
(Original post by UCLan Ambassador)
Hi there,

I want you to know I was in the same position when I was applying for engineering courses. I ended up choosing aerospace over mechanical for the more interesting modules and potential career options that I was considering after graduating. Some aerospace course now implement pilots studies along side the modules.

You are also right in saying you can leave uni with a mechanical engineering degree and work in the aerospace industry. They share common modules.

Let me know if you want to know more on student life, or if you would like information on the engineering courses UCLan can offer.

Best wishes
Zach
Hi
would you recommend choosing the course which mostly interests you?
are the career prospects good for an aerospace degree like can you work on things that mechanical engineers work on? (this is what I’m worried about)

also what do you mean by the “potential career options that I was considering after graduating”?
thank you
UCLan Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
would you recommend choosing the course which mostly interests you?
are the career prospects good for an aerospace degree like can you work on things that mechanical engineers work on? (this is what I’m worried about)

also what do you mean by the “potential career options that I was considering after graduating”?
thank you
Hi there,

The interests I had for the aerospace modules I studied motivated me more to work harder and casually talk more about the work I had to do. I ended up living with some of my course mates and we all enjoyed the work, even the group projects that required a good amount of teamwork.

The potential career options I was talking about was the Royal Air Force and BAE Systems. My passion for wanting to work in the aerospace industry pushed me to apply for those roles after graduating.

Which ever you choose there's going to be options for mechanical and aerospace engineering jobs in industry which will allow any accredited or valid degree approved by an engineering institution or council.

Best wishes
Zach
User_0192
Rep:
?
Hi there,

The interests I had for the aerospace modules I studied motivated me more to work harder and casually talk more about the work I had to do. I ended up living with some of my course mates and we all enjoyed the work, even the group projects that required a good amount of teamwork.

The potential career options I was talking about was the Royal Air Force and BAE Systems. My passion for wanting to work in the aerospace industry pushed me to apply for those roles after graduating.

Which ever you choose there's going to be options for mechanical and aerospace engineering jobs in industry which will allow any accredited or valid degree approved by an engineering institution or council.

Best wishes
Zach
The aerospace course in the university of Birmingham is accredited by the institute of of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3).
Would that be a problem in the future with regards to careers and other things?
UCLan Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The aerospace course in the university of Birmingham is accredited by the institute of of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3).
Would that be a problem in the future with regards to careers and other things?
Hi there,

An accredited programme is usually only a positive thing from what I understand so I can't imagine it causing any issues for you career-wise but you may be better querying this directly with the University of Birmingham just to reassure you and ensure it is the best course option for your career aspirations.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your studies.

Zach
User_0192
Rep:
?
Hi there,

An accredited programme is usually only a positive thing from what I understand so I can't imagine it causing any issues for you career-wise but you may be better querying this directly with the University of Birmingham just to reassure you and ensure it is the best course option for your career aspirations.

Zach
Thank you
User_0192
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

Zach
Hi again
I just wanted to know that a Aerospace degree won’t limit you right?
Can you apply for other sectors of engineering like the automotive industry or other areas?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (789)
42.06%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (372)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.48%

Watched Threads