AlexPgce1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am wondering if I am eligible for SFE funding for my PGCE. As the government have just scrapped the bursary for Geography I am wondering if I can now afford to do it after finishing my PhD. I have previously taken out an undergraduate student loan (starting in 2013) and a 10k postgraduate loan for my MA (this was in 2016).

Am I eligible for a maintenance and a fees loan for my PGCE?

How will the amount of this be assessed? I am 26 and I have not lived with my parents for 8 years now. I am not married but live away from home with my partner.

How will this loan be paid back?

Thanks! Alex
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlexPgce1)
Hi,

I am wondering if I am eligible for SFE funding for my PGCE. As the government have just scrapped the bursary for Geography I am wondering if I can now afford to do it after finishing my PhD. I have previously taken out an undergraduate student loan (starting in 2013) and a 10k postgraduate loan for my MA (this was in 2016).

Am I eligible for a maintenance and a fees loan for my PGCE?

How will the amount of this be assessed? I am 26 and I have not lived with my parents for 8 years now. I am not married but live away from home with my partner.

How will this loan be paid back?

Thanks! Alex
Hi Alex, a PGCE course is an exception course so your previous study does not affect eligibility as long as it will be your first time achieving Qualified Teacher status, the course must be non salaried and under 2 years long.

Your partner will need to support your application, if they earn less than 25k, you will receive the maximum amount of undergraduate funding.

Regarding your repayment query, you can find out more information here gov.uk/slc and click "how much you repay".
Thanks, Isaac
AlexPgce1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Alex, a PGCE course is an exception course so your previous study does not affect eligibility as long as it will be your first time achieving Qualified Teacher status, the course must be non salaried and under 2 years long.

Your partner will need to support your application, if they earn less than 25k, you will receive the maximum amount of undergraduate funding.

Regarding your repayment query, you can find out more information here gov.uk/slc and click "how much you repay".
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac

Thanks for your reply. In terms of repayment - is a PGCE loan a postgraduate loan or Plan 2?

Thanks
Alex
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlexPgce1)
Hi Isaac

Thanks for your reply. In terms of repayment - is a PGCE loan a postgraduate loan or Plan 2?

Thanks
Alex
Good morning, I advise you to query this with our repayments department by calling 0300 100 0611 or messaging them on Facebook/Twitter.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads