I will be 23 when I finish university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ll be going university when my age group is in in their final year. I feel like a failure and feel so behind. My parents are ashamed of me and it’s really puts me down even more.

How will it look to university and even employers that I resat my A levels twice. I did terrible on one subject so I needed to retake only that subject, i was meant to take my exam this year and go uni but due to the mess up of grades due to Covid I didn’t get the grade I needed to so I’m once again retaking the subject.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ll be going university when my age group is in in their final year. I feel like a failure and feel so behind. My parents are ashamed of me and it’s really puts me down even more.

How will it look to university and even employers that I resat my A levels twice. I did terrible on one subject so I needed to retake only that subject, i was meant to take my exam this year and go uni but due to the mess up of grades due to Covid I didn’t get the grade I needed to so I’m once again retaking the subject.
Its prertty much irrelevant and pointkless to beat yourself up about.
Certainly noit worth having MH issues about.
Sound like rubbish parents.
Why arent you taking the exam this Autumn?
Ensoetre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s no rule that you MUST go to uni at 18 🤣 plus all med students finish uni at at least 23 sooooo 🤷🏾*♀️
jessicaelliot97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is no race. Everyone is on their own path. Sorry but your parents are failing you if they're ashamed that you're starting uni in your 20s. Some people don't start university until 30s or even 40s. It's not uncommon. Sounds like your parents don't have a clue what they're talking about. It's your life and you call the shots. It is never too late to start university.
jokumu56102
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The past is the past! What is important is what you do now. Focus on getting the grades needed to do whatever degree you want and then focus on smashing that degree!! The fact that you're older doesn't matter, the fact that you've failed will mean you'll come out stronger. Don't try to live your life how others say you should and 100% don't do things solely for others approval. I failed my A levels twice as well. I was devastated and felt I'd let everyone including myself down. Now I have my A-Levels and my degree. You'll do just fine. Just make sure you learn as much as you can from every experience good and bad because you'll be able to use all of them as your strengths in the future.

The universities and employers don't care and don't need to know you've failed before. All they will ask you is what you do know and can you prove it?! Just make sure that the time it takes you to make amends to your grades, you take on extra activities that you can speak about in your CV's and applications. Getting the grades are important but you need to remember many people get grades so don't just focus on the grades, focus on what makes you different, what makes you better than the rest!
Kornershopbandit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There was a girl in my class who was resitting the year last year. She now goes to kcl! Marathon not a sprint
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I graduated uni at 25. Some people graduate even later. It literally doesn't matter in the slightest. Ignore your parents.

I also have a ton of A Levels on my CV, nobody has ever once questioned why that is. Employers certainly don't care, in many cases because they don't know or understand. You're not even obligated to tell them you resat.
Ne en mia nomo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Be proud of your perseverance, most people give up after their crappy A level results and end up in low paid jobs.
You will have a degree and will be in a better position than all the people who never went to uni.
2 years really means nothing, it's only around 2-3% of your lifetime.
Tell your parents that you're trying your best and they should to be more supportive, because YOU WILL HAVE A DEGREE at the end, and that's all that counts, not how you get there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.34%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.36%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.49%

Watched Threads