Cupcake21T
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I am currently in year 13 and really need to choose a course to study at uni ASAP. So I gathered all my options and it seems like urban/ town planning is the best route for me. However, I have a few questions: is this a common course as I haven’t heard of anyone doing it? And is it easy to get a job in London after I graduate?

Are there any other degrees related to this?

Also, anyone studying Urban planning, please share your experience!
Last edited by Cupcake21T; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You wont get into UCL with those grades. It has one of the top Architecture/Planning depts in Europe, and they are very picky.

There are other Unis that do this sort of subject : Newcastle, UWE (Bristol), Cardiff, Reading, Liverpool, Oxford Brookes etc.

Urban Planning careers advice : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...urban-planning
pickledpotato
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
You wont get into UCL with those grades. It has one of the top Architecture/Planning depts in Europe, and they are very picky.

There are other Unis that do this sort of subject : Newcastle, UWE (Bristol), Cardiff, Reading, Liverpool, Oxford Brookes etc.

Urban Planning careers advice : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...urban-planning
What grades are needed for UCL?
Cupcake21T
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
AAB. Also, do you know what is involved in the course, like is it heavily involved with graphics etc?
Soraya Omotosho
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey! I'm applying to UCL. for this course too!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Careers in Urban Planning : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...urban-planning
Cupcake21T
Rep:
?
That’s honestly so reassuring to know! Where else will you be applying to as not many unis do this course, especially in London
pickledpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cupcake21T)
That’s honestly so reassuring to know! Where else will you be applying to as not many unis do this course, especially in London
I'm looking at liverpool, sheffield, newcastle, cardiff, loughborough and ucl, wbu? I'm happy to find some other people applying as it's not a well known course haha
Soraya Omotosho
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha yes UCL is my top choice but I’m also applying to Queen Mary (Belfast), Manchester, liverpool, and Reading. What part of urban planning are you applying up for? I’m applying to urban planning and real estate
Soraya Omotosho
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pickledpotato)
I'm looking at liverpool, sheffield, newcastle, cardiff, loughborough and ucl, wbu? I'm happy to find some other people applying as it's not a well known course haha
What course are you applying for at the Bartlett? I’m
Applying for urban planning and real estate.
pickledpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Soraya Omotosho)
What course are you applying for at the Bartlett? I’m
Applying for urban planning and real estate.
I'm going to apply for the urban planning, design and management course. We will still share core modules
Cupcake21T
Rep:
?
I'm going to apply for the urban planning, design and management course. We will still share core modules
I’m applying for the urban planning, design and management course as well. I live in London so the only unis that do it are UCL, LSBU and Westminster because I don’t want to move.

Do you guys think this course in UCL is popular? Or are there not that many people applying for it? My predicted grades are BBB and I don’t think I’ll be accepted to UCL but if there are some spaces maybe I’ll have a chance.

Also do you think this course is popular in general or not? (I actually hope it isn’t )
pickledpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m applying for the urban planning, design and management course as well. I live in London so the only unis that do it are UCL, LSBU and Westminster because I don’t want to move.

Do you guys think this course in UCL is popular? Or are there not that many people applying for it? My predicted grades are BBB and I don’t think I’ll be accepted to UCL but if there are some spaces maybe I’ll have a chance.

Also do you think this course is popular in general or not? (I actually hope it isn’t )
I want to go UCL because London seems like a fun city! Are you going to use up the five choices or only stick to those 3 London ones?

Luckily, I think it's one of the least competitive courses at UCL because the entry requirements are ABB (the lowest UCL entry requirements available except for contextual offers).

If you're eligible you could get a contextual offer of BBB. Also do you think there is any chance that one of your teachers could move you up to an A?

In general it isn't a popular course but that doesn't mean it isn't good. Not a lot of universities do urban planning/urban planning related courses.
pickledpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey, just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FF1Tul0Org and interestingly, UCL only had 2 courses in adjustment which were urban planning, design and management and the real estate one. Shows that it really isn't a popular course at all ! So maybe you do have a chance Bare in mind it was 2 years ago though so things might have changed.
pickledpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Still crazy considering UCL has hundreds of courses and those were the only 2 with spaces left

Hey, just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FF1Tul0Org and interestingly, UCL only had 2 courses in adjustment which were urban planning, design and management and the real estate one. Shows that it really isn't a popular course at all ! So maybe you do have a chance Bare in mind it was 2 years ago though so things might have changed.
Cupcake21T
Rep:
?
I want to go UCL because London seems like a fun city! Are you going to use up the five choices or only stick to those 3 London ones?

Luckily, I think it's one of the least competitive courses at UCL because the entry requirements are ABB (the lowest UCL entry requirements available except for contextual offers).

If you're eligible you could get a contextual offer of BBB. Also do you think there is any chance that one of your teachers could move you up to an A?

In general it isn't a popular course but that doesn't mean it isn't good. Not a lot of universities do urban planning/urban planning related courses.
I’m going to fill up my 5 spaces but I’ll just have to find related courses
Cupcake21T
Rep:
?
Thanks for sharing this! You’ve given me a bit of hope that I might be able to get in!

I thought UCL didn’t do clearing?
pickledpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for sharing this! You’ve given me a bit of hope that I might be able to get in!

I thought UCL didn’t do clearing?
No problem! And adjustment is different to clearing, it happens after you get your A level results
Cupcake21T
Rep:
?
No problem! And adjustment is different to clearing, it happens after you get your A level results
So are they similar? If I get grades I am predicted and urban planning is in adjustments, will they accept me if there are spaces in the course?
pickledpotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So are they similar? If I get grades I am predicted and urban planning is in adjustments, will they accept me if there are spaces in the course?
Adjustment is for people who get better grades than they thought they would of and so have the opportunity to enrol onto a course with higher entry requirements compared to their other offers. But because UCL seem to have spare places they may lower the entry requirements for urban planning, I'm not sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (716)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (904)
42.8%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed