Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am planning to do these A-Levels next year:
History
Politics
English literature
I do not want to go to university, but instead, do an apprenticeship within the Civil Service / government.
Any ideas and tips??
meaghan sharp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) volunteer if you can afford to
2) find open evenings for this type of apprenticeship
3) look at the prospectus of the places offering the apprenticeship, they may have some suggested reading.
4) read in general what's happening with the government, they publish an awful lot of the whitepapers and so on online.
5) generally talk and network with people who are either in positions you aspire to or positions that will work alongside you as you progress.
6) there is no harm in looking at uni open days, just to make sure that you don't want to go that route.

I am not sure if a degree might be a requirement to work higher up in the civil service. You should have a think do you want to work in local government, what sector do you want to work in, do you want to live in London etc, these kinds of things may be far off/distant future now but the information you learn about your self and the requirements for these positions will help you make informed decisions.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads