Career ideas and advice?Watch
I do not want to go to university, but instead, do an apprenticeship within the Civil Service / government.
Any ideas and tips??
2) find open evenings for this type of apprenticeship
3) look at the prospectus of the places offering the apprenticeship, they may have some suggested reading.
4) read in general what's happening with the government, they publish an awful lot of the whitepapers and so on online.
5) generally talk and network with people who are either in positions you aspire to or positions that will work alongside you as you progress.
6) there is no harm in looking at uni open days, just to make sure that you don't want to go that route.
I am not sure if a degree might be a requirement to work higher up in the civil service. You should have a think do you want to work in local government, what sector do you want to work in, do you want to live in London etc, these kinds of things may be far off/distant future now but the information you learn about your self and the requirements for these positions will help you make informed decisions.