hello12424
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm considering applying to Plymouth University to study Biomedical Sciences as my back up option to get into Medicine. I have heard of their transfer scheme and know that anyone on the course with AAB A Levels are eligible for an interview sometime in December or January on your 1st year (I got this info from the Uni website and contacting the admissions department as well). If successful at interview, you are given a conditional offer, which allows you to progress onto Year 1 of Medicine after completion of your 1st year, provided that you get 70% or more in all 6 modules during 1st year. And there are around 10 spaces but not all of them get filled up each year.

My question is - are there any students that have gone through this particular route here who could possibly share their experience of it? Such as, the difficulty of getting 70% or more in those modules, the interview process, and overall the success rates or amount of pressure? Is it worth considering?

I am happy to continue studying biomedical sciences if the transfer is unsuccessful, as I do enjoy the modules that the course offers as well as do have plans to become a clinical scientist if Medicine does not work out, but was wondering if this was an option worth considering.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in advance!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hello12424)
Hi, I'm considering applying to Plymouth University to study Biomedical Sciences as my back up option to get into Medicine. I have heard of their transfer scheme and know that anyone on the course with AAB A Levels are eligible for an interview sometime in December or January on your 1st year (I got this info from the Uni website and contacting the admissions department as well). If successful at interview, you are given a conditional offer, which allows you to progress onto Year 1 of Medicine after completion of your 1st year, provided that you get 70% or more in all 6 modules during 1st year. And there are around 10 spaces but not all of them get filled up each year.

My question is - are there any students that have gone through this particular route here who could possibly share their experience of it? Such as, the difficulty of getting 70% or more in those modules, the interview process, and overall the success rates or amount of pressure? Is it worth considering?

I am happy to continue studying biomedical sciences if the transfer is unsuccessful, as I do enjoy the modules that the course offers as well as do have plans to become a clinical scientist if Medicine does not work out, but was wondering if this was an option worth considering.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in advance!
The success rate for these transfer courses (and I do mean all of them, there's no easy "back door" to medicine) are so low that the chances of you finding one here on TSR is quite slim. I can't say it's impossible though.

As I keep saying in the medicine forum, if you're doing this course with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine then I would encourage you to take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad med. It will take longer, cost more and will be much more competitive (but still easier than these transfer courses) to do GEM.

It does sound like your top priority is medicine, so why not give it a try for a year or two? If you really can't get in after your second try then by all means go for something else. Taking a gap year at 18, 19 years old is easier than doing it aged 21 or 22 (which is what many GEM applicants have to do because it's so competitive!).
hello12424
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
The success rate for these transfer courses (and I do mean all of them, there's no easy "back door" to medicine) are so low that the chances of you finding one here on TSR is quite slim. I can't say it's impossible though.

As I keep saying in the medicine forum, if you're doing this course with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine then I would encourage you to take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad med. It will take longer, cost more and will be much more competitive (but still easier than these transfer courses) to do GEM.

It does sound like your top priority is medicine, so why not give it a try for a year or two? If you really can't get in after your second try then by all means go for something else. Taking a gap year at 18, 19 years old is easier than doing it aged 21 or 22 (which is what many GEM applicants have to do because it's so competitive!).
Thank you for your reply.

It is actually my 2nd year applying for Medicine, having just finished Year 13, as I didnt get any offers when I applied in Year 12. Which is why I said I dont mind studying biomedical sciences if it doesnt work out, as i am already on my 2nd try. I do understand that it is competitive though, so finding someone here that has been through the route will probably be hard - i was really hoping there would at least be one person though!

Instead of that, would you or anyone else be able to share your experiences of Plymouth University - would it be difficult to settle into if you are used to living in a city environment? Is there an overall good student life and night life available there, and enough things to do around there for fun? Is the campus and facilities good? I have seen many vlogs and the Uni website, but was hoping someone would be able to recommend it from personal experience.

Thank you!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hello12424)
... i was really hoping there would at least be one person though!
The thing is, TSR is full of Year 12 and 13 students applying to medicine (or other courses). Sadly, once they're in most of them disappear (group chats, real life etc. et.c) so while you do find some uni students, it's much less than school students.

With only a handful (and I do mean about 10-20 successful people transferring) per year, as opposed to thousands of successful standard undergrad med students, I think you'll struggle.

Instead of that, would you or anyone else be able to share your experiences of Plymouth University - would it be difficult to settle into if you are used to living in a city environment? Is there an overall good student life and night life available there, and enough things to do around there for fun? Is the campus and facilities good? I have seen many vlogs and the Uni website, but was hoping someone would be able to recommend it from personal experience.

Thank you!
Not me, but have a read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=165 and feel free to ask the Plymouth Uni rep in this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5435074
hello12424
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
The thing is, TSR is full of Year 12 and 13 students applying to medicine (or other courses). Sadly, once they're in most of them disappear (group chats, real life etc. et.c) so while you do find some uni students, it's much less than school students.

With only a handful (and I do mean about 10-20 successful people transferring) per year, as opposed to thousands of successful standard undergrad med students, I think you'll struggle.

Not me, but have a read through https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=165 and feel free to ask the Plymouth Uni rep in this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5435074
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.27%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.68%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (129)
29.52%

Watched Threads