Predicted Grades aren’t amazing...

Watch
athena5967
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My predicted grades aren’t very bad, having mostly 6s, one 8 and two 7s (6s and one 7 for subjects i want to do for A-level), however all the sixth forms near me have entry requirements of at least 7s. will i be instantly rejected as i dont meet their criteria? i know i can be reconsidered if i do well in my actual exams but id prefer to have at least one offer lol
thewannabevegan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fellow year 11 here!
What sort of sixth forms are near you!? Are they private or grammar?
My local ones (state) all have entry requirements of a pass in english/maths and then higher for specific subjects (eg. you need a 7 to do maths, 6 for sciences etc.)
I would say you should apply anyway and work hard in school maybe talking to your teachers to see how you can improve your grades. That way when you're being interviewed for sixth form and they bring up the lower predicted grades you can tell them everything you're doing to improve. They may value your dedication and hard work higher than some students who are smart but have no work ethic. The only problem you might find is them rejecting you immediately because of the entry requirements although I doubt this as students have to stay in education until 18 so you have to go somewhere!

Is there a careers councillor you could maybe book an appointment with to discuss this (they may know a little more??)
Hope I've helped a little! xx
athena5967
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by thewannabevegan)
Fellow year 11 here!
What sort of sixth forms are near you!? Are they private or grammar?
My local ones (state) all have entry requirements of a pass in english/maths and then higher for specific subjects (eg. you need a 7 to do maths, 6 for sciences etc.)
I would say you should apply anyway and work hard in school maybe talking to your teachers to see how you can improve your grades. That way when you're being interviewed for sixth form and they bring up the lower predicted grades you can tell them everything you're doing to improve. They may value your dedication and hard work higher than some students who are smart but have no work ethic. The only problem you might find is them rejecting you immediately because of the entry requirements although I doubt this as students have to stay in education until 18 so you have to go somewhere!

Is there a careers councillor you could maybe book an appointment with to discuss this (they may know a little more??)
Hope I've helped a little! xx
Hi! I only have highly selective grammar schools like Judd and St Olaves near me, even I go to a highly selective grammar school. thank you very much for the advice, you've helped a lot! I completely forgot about my student advisor 😝
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.58%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise