Ash AFR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a year 12 student studying A-Levels in Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths.

I am feeling undecided between picking Medicine or Chemical Engineering.

I think I am an allrounder in the sense I am skilled in both physical/mathematical and natural sciences...my both memorization and numerical skills are pretty good.

The reasons why I am interested in Medicine are:
-The fact that it's a socially highly respected and noble job.(In my culture medics are way more respected than engineers)
-Parental pressure plays a role...also all friends and family have extremely high expectations on me simply because I aced my GCSEs despite the fact that I came in this country 2 years ago months ago. (Got 3 9s,3 8s,a 5 and a 6...I could have done better,but I was new in this country and had only 7 months to prepare myself for each GCSE exams.)
-I have basically job guaranteed after MBBS Degree.
-It is related to science (I would NEVER do a non-science related degree).
-Pay is good...perhaps not much good in the UK initially,but after a fee years the pay raises a LOT...for the financial aspect...I planned that if I get successfully through Medicine and through FY 1 and FY 1 I would go to Australia or America for an easier life.

Reason why I feel cons to Medicine:
-I dont like the social aspect of Medicine because I have social anxiety and I feel that I cannot deal with people and I am not good with people at all. (Even though my parents keep telling me stories of people like me who still got into Medicine).

Reason why I want to do Chemical Engineering:
-Well paid job (any starting salary above 27k is acceptable fo me)
-Not as highly social as Medicine (I can manage the social skill requirements of Chem Eng).
-I have the intelligence and skills to get through Chemical Engineering.
-I like chemical engineering because of the nice balance between science disciplines (bio,chem,phys,maths) and I like a little bit of variation (Reason why I dont want to specialize in a SPECIFIC science field such as pure biology,pure chemistry or pure physics.).I love every science discipline equally.

Reason why I dont want to do Chemical Engineering:
-My parents keep telling me that Engineering job can be easily saturated...which is partially true...According to Chemical Engineering Council a few years ago only 59% of engineering graduate got a job as engineers,so a small proportion of engineering graduates actually get to engineering...which is pretty low for me.
-Don't study Further Maths in my A-Levels...I want to graduate from Imperial (For simplicity let's assume that I will end up with minimum A*A*A*A) or from any very highly prestigious Uni (This doesn't apply for Medicine...I can do an MBBS degree in an unknown uni and it doesn't matter because I would have job guaranteed anyways...but for engineering is different...career prospects vary a lot between unis).
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"The fact that it's a socially highly respected and noble job".
Stop right there. That is not a good enough reason for studying Medicine.

Do Chemical Engineering.
The world will always need your skills.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have social problems dont consider Medicine. You need to be good at dealing with people. Dont do a course to please your parents. If you cant get into Imperial then there are many other excellent options.
Ash AFR
Rep:
?
I am doing A-Levels in Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths and I am doing pretty well in all of them (The school set me A*A*A*A as my minimum target grade).

But I don't study further maths (because I wanted to keep my options open and I wanted an all rounded knowledge in all aspects of sciences...that's why I decided Biology instead of Further Maths).

My dream Uni is Imperial,how high are my chances to get in against people offering further maths?
Ash AFR
Rep:
?
I am a Year 12 student doing A Levels in Biology,Chemistry,Maths and Physics.My school set me a minimun target grade of A*A*A*A.
How much are my chances to get in?
Last edited by Ash AFR; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I imagine most will consider you at least. FM would be ideal but, I don't believe there are any universities that specifically require it (even Cambridge I think in principle if you apply via NatSci rather than engineering it may be less of an issue?). Note that "top" universities for chemical engineering (and all kinds of engineering) often aren't what you may assume. Strathclyde and Aberdeen are probably going to have similar if not better grad prospects as compared to people who went to Imperial or Cambridge, due to the exceptional links to the oil and gas industry those two universities have. Neither to my knowledge requires A-level Further Maths.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You fit the entry requirements fine for imperial at least
Name:  9515A4D0-98C1-47AB-AFE2-0F3B3B200F1C.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  127.5 KB
Ash AFR
Rep:
?
Which are the best uni for chemical engineering in terms of graduate job prospects?
Ash AFR
Rep:
?
I am a Year 12 student Studying A-Level Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Mathematics.
Assuming that I get A*A*A*A (my minimun target grade set by my school),how high are my chances to get into a very good Uni with people offering also further maths?

Which uni do you think is the best for chemical engineering?
Luwei
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge?0
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on what you class as a top uni. You might have difficulties in a couple but most leading universities will not require FM. Your best course of action is to check the entry requirements. If you need it then the university will say that.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What job do you want?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads