User_0192
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The aerospace course in the university of Birmingham is accredited by the institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3).
Would that be a problem in the future with regards to careers and other things?

Thank you
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In itself that's not an issue (degrees can be accredited by more than one institution), what is probably more significant is that it isn't accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society https://www.aerosociety.com/membersh...demic-courses/

Any ideas what field you want to work in? The accreditation probably gives some clues as to the bias of the course.

It's not essential to study a degree that is accredited by the institution of the area you think you want to work - you can provide evidence you have the knowledge and understanding to get chartered in other ways and a significant minority of chartered engineers do take this route - but completing an accredited degree certainly makes an application to get chartered a lot easier.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Compost)
In itself that's not an issue (degrees can be accredited by more than one institution), what is probably more significant is that it isn't accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society https://www.aerosociety.com/membersh...demic-courses/

Any ideas what field you want to work in? The accreditation probably gives some clues as to the bias of the course.

It's not essential to study a degree that is accredited by the institution of the area you think you want to work - you can provide evidence you have the knowledge and understanding to get chartered in other ways and a significant minority of chartered engineers do take this route - but completing an accredited degree certainly makes an application to get chartered a lot easier.
The current accreditation status is the result of it being a new course so most of the other bodies haven't accredited it yet, just IOM3 which is unusual because no one has graduated yet. It should be accredited by RAeS and IMechE by the time they graduate.

The course itself looks quite interesting although very focused on Space and Materials. The intercalated year in Computer Science also sounds pretty valuable.
User_0192
Rep:
?

I possibly want to work in the aerospace sector or as a software engineer
Would that be a problem based on the accreditation by IOM3?

Also do you have to do a masters to be a chartered engineer because I am planning only to do a bachelors.
Last edited by User_0192; 1 month ago
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User_0192)
I possibly want to work in the aerospace sector or as a software engineer
Would that be a problem based on the accreditation by IOM3?

Also do you have to do a masters to be a chartered engineer because I am planning only to do a bachelors.
To be CEng, i.e. chartered, you need a masters or to demonstrate the equivalent knowledge and understanding. You can become an incorporated engineer (IEng) with a bachelors
User_0192
Rep:
?
To be CEng, i.e. chartered, you need a masters or to demonstrate the equivalent knowledge and understanding. You can become an incorporated engineer (IEng) with a bachelors
Would the accreditation by IOM3 be a problem for looking or applying to jobs in the aerospace sector or any other job?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would the accreditation by IOM3 be a problem for looking or applying to jobs in the aerospace sector or any other job?
The accreditation by IOM3 is absolutely not a problem, the possible issue is the lack of accreditation by other institutions. Helloworld_95 has said it's a new course - that may be why it has yet to be accredited by other institutions but it may well be soon.
User_0192
Rep:
?
The accreditation by IOM3 is absolutely not a problem, the possible issue is the lack of accreditation by other institutions. Helloworld_95 has said it's a new course - that may be why it has yet to be accredited by other institutions but it may well be soon.
Oh okay thanks
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, won't matter for chartership either. IMechE and RAeS will both accept a degree accredited by IOM3
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student-95)
No, won't matter for chartership either. IMechE and RAeS will both accept a degree accredited by IOM3
It wouldn't count as an accredited degree for applications to them.
User_0192
Rep:
?
So would that be a problem to applying to jobs in the aerospace sector/any other job or to being a chartered engineer?
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not? The degree is accredited.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So would that be a problem to applying to jobs in the aerospace sector/any other job or to being a chartered engineer?
They're talking nonsense. IMechE and RAeS will accept a degree accredited by any of the engineering institutions recognised by the engineering council.
User_0192
Rep:
?
They're talking nonsense. IMechE and RAeS will accept a degree accredited by any of the engineering institutions recognised by the engineering council.
So will they accept a degree accredited by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3)? Sorry just want to make sure
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So will they accept a degree accredited by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3)? Sorry just want to make sure
Yes.
https://www.aerosociety.com/membersh...demic-courses/

"the Society will accept any course accredited by any engineering Institution"

You can search for recognised courses here: https://www.engc.org.uk/education-sk...course-search/
User_0192
Rep:
?
Yes.

You can search for recognised courses here: https://www.engc.org.uk/education-sk...course-search/
Thank you
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not? The degree is accredited.
It's accredited by the IOM3 to get chartered through them. There may be some reciprocal arrangements but clearly, a a degree accredited by (say) the IChemE is not a suitable academic formation to be (say) an electrical engineer. If all accreditations were valid for all professional engineering institutions there would be no need for each one to accredit degrees.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.

I stand corrected - but accreditations do not necessarily transfer. Some of the professional engineering institutions (e.g. IChemE) only accept degrees accredited by them.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I stand corrected - but accreditations do not necessarily transfer. Some of the professional engineering institutions (e.g. IChemE) only accept degrees accredited by them.
Because IChemE award the title 'Chartered Chemical Engineer' alongside any CEng application so they can't give an electrical engineer that title with no evidence of chemical engineering knowledge.

CEng is awarded by the Engineering Council and the institution you go through is the middle man. In the case of IMechE, RAeS and IET (the ones someone in aerospace would be interested in), they just award CEng so any accredited engineering degree is fine.
Last edited by Student-95; 1 month ago
User_0192
Rep:
?
Would you say instead mechanical eng is the option I should be with because that course is accredited by IMechE or should I move to something that looks more interesting (aerospace) that is accredited by IOM3?
The modules look more interesting in aerospace compared to the modules in the mechanical engineering degree for UoB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.29%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (68)
19.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (37)
10.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
28.86%

Watched Threads