What should I put in my personal statement?

Watch
MaryamKH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Pllzzzz guys I just need help on how to write everything, I’ve looked online but still not sure. Like wut questions would I ask myself and in what order??
tbi_zlx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MaryamKH)
Pllzzzz guys I just need help on how to write everything, I’ve looked online but still not sure. Like wut questions would I ask myself and in what order??
Heyyy tbh you need to be more specific like waht u tryna do in the future and then base it off that. You can pm me and i can send you mine
kester.t_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pllzzzz guys I just need help on how to write everything, I’ve looked online but still not sure. Like wut questions would I ask myself and in what order?
Type unicompare personal statements in google and you should find this red kinda website then just find the degree and look at the examples.

you should be following a PEE structure (point evidence explain) and try to make sure that 75% is about why you want to do the course and 25% is about you and what you do outside school
MaryamKH
Rep:
?
(Original post by tbi_zlx)
Heyyy tbh you need to be more specific like waht u tryna do in the future and then base it off that. You can pm me and i can send you mine
Thank u so much but I’ve read a lot of examples but I just don’t know how to go about it? Any general tips? Xxx
Btw I wanna do an economics degree and only decided that a little while ago so don’t have any work experience or books that can complement it
Last edited by MaryamKH; 1 month ago
MaryamKH
Rep:
?
(Original post by kester.t_)
Type unicompare personal statements in google and you should find this red kinda website then just find the degree and look at the examples.

you should be following a PEE structure (point evidence explain) and try to make sure that 75% is about why you want to do the course and 25% is about you and what you do outside school
Thank u so much I’ll check it out! But I don’t have any work experience or anything to put on, I only made a decision to do an economics degree a little while ago so haven’t read a book or anything either
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't overthink it. I had no clue where to start on mine, so I just watched a couple of YouTube videos and got started. Literally just get all your thoughts onto paper, then worry about organising them afterwards.

Look at a couple of examples so you know what they may look like, but remember that they can vary drastically. Mine ended up nothing like others I'd read, because it's all about what makes you tick, and not anybody else. That also means (in my opinion) that it should be in your style.

Avoid cliche openings like "ever since I was little..." or "I have an avid interest in...". Don't be afraid to just get stuck in. It may sound a little abrupt, but you only have 4000 characters, so you want to get straight to the point.
kester.t_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank u so much I’ll check it out! But I don’t have any work experience or anything to put on, I only made a decision to do an economics degree a little while ago so haven’t read a book or anything either
Talk about what you did during quarantine like maybe you did a webinar on something economics related or maybe you’ve watched YouTube videos to increase you’re understanding of economics and what it actually is maybe you’ve done a MOOC (via future learn) and if you haven’t done any of these don’t stress just do the parts of you’re personal statement that isn’t about work experience and then do a couple webinars or MOOCs or watch videos about economics and then when you’ve done all that just come back to you’re personal statement and add all the work experience in (don’t worry the work experience I said won’t take that long)
MaryamKH
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashton23)
Don't overthink it. I had no clue where to start on mine, so I just watched a couple of YouTube videos and got started. Literally just get all your thoughts onto paper, then worry about organising them afterwards.

Look at a couple of examples so you know what they may look like, but remember that they can vary drastically. Mine ended up nothing like others I'd read, because it's all about what makes you tick, and not anybody else. That also means (in my opinion) that it should be in your style.

Avoid cliche openings like "ever since I was little..." or "I have an avid interest in...". Don't be afraid to just get stuck in. It may sound a little abrupt, but you only have 4000 characters, so you want to get straight to the point.
Okayyyy! Honestly thank u so much for ur advice! And ur right I swear the hardest part is just getting started loll😭😭
MaryamKH
Rep:
?
(Original post by kester.t_)
Talk about what you did during quarantine like maybe you did a webinar on something economics related or maybe you’ve watched YouTube videos to increase you’re understanding of economics and what it actually is maybe you’ve done a MOOC (via future learn) and if you haven’t done any of these don’t stress just do the parts of you’re personal statement that isn’t about work experience and then do a couple webinars or MOOCs or watch videos about economics and then when you’ve done all that just come back to you’re personal statement and add all the work experience in (don’t worry the work experience I said won’t take that long)
Okay thank u so much!! I’ll deffo check those out! Hopefully it’ll let me then put something on my PS a that’ll make it look like I accly want to the course xxx thx again bae
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okayyyy! Honestly thank u so much for ur advice! And ur right I swear the hardest part is just getting started loll😭😭
Not a problem!

It definitely is. Once you start you'll get a rhythm going, so literally just jot down anything you think is relevant haha.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Check out this guidance as a starting point https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (543)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (662)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.55%

Watched Threads