The Student Room Group

Parents forcing me to go to 6th form UK

UK - ENGLAND
I'm desperate to go to this college for a levels. Its rated one of the best colleges where I live and it looks amazing
Unfortunately my parents want me to stay at my school for 6th form I have NO friends at this school and the people here are so, so irritating it drives me mad

I want to know if my parents are able to make me carry on at my school without my permission I want to know if its physically possible or if I have to consent to it (theyll do it without my permission if they can)

My parents said they're calling my school to tell them I'm carrying on for 6th form (even though I basically screamed at them not to)
Absolutely nothing will change their minds
So I NEED to know if I have to apply for A levels or if my parents can just pick and choose for me
Also explain the application process for me please :smile:
Reply 1
Why do they want u to go 6th form and not college
Original post by Notabotto
UK - ENGLAND
I'm desperate to go to this college for a levels. Its rated one of the best colleges where I live and it looks amazing
Unfortunately my parents want me to stay at my school for 6th form I have NO friends at this school and the people here are so, so irritating it drives me mad

I want to know if my parents are able to make me carry on at my school without my permission I want to know if its physically possible or if I have to consent to it (theyll do it without my permission if they can)

My parents said they're calling my school to tell them I'm carrying on for 6th form (even though I basically screamed at them not to)
Absolutely nothing will change their minds
So I NEED to know if I have to apply for A levels or if my parents can just pick and choose for me
Also explain the application process for me please :smile:

Nope, but they can kick you out.
Havent you posted this before?
You didnt explain things last time either.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Nope, but they can kick you out.
Havent you posted this before?
You didnt explain things last time either.

No?
Reply 4
Original post by ważzer
Why do they want u to go 6th form and not college

They prefer it but it has much lower scores then the one I chose
I know it's easy enough for me to say 'just don't listen to them' or 'just don't do what they say', but honestly, that is the best thing you can do.

Apply yourself for the college and the course where you really want to go.

Your parents can call and apply for the sixth form they want you to go all they want, but in the end, its your decision and you simply can just not turn up to there.

I am assuming they're quite strict and this is why they're being like this, but it may help to do an extensive list of reasons why you want to go to this specific college and how it will benefit you. If they really want what is best for you, they would let you do what you really want to do.
even though I basically screamed at them not to

I don't know your situation, so perhaps this is out of place, but I doubt they'll listen to you if you act like that. In their minds, it justifies their decision because they see it as evidence that you aren't mature enough to make it yourself.

I'm not sure how much came before this obviously because everyone can get frustrated, but I think talking calmly would probably be a better approach. Ask them to explain their rationale, and put yours forward in a respectful way. They may see your side if you do it this way.

If they don't, weigh up how much you don't want to go to this place. Would you adapt, and make new friends? Or is it honestly unbearable? If the latter, then perhaps talk to your school and see if they could help you to apply where you want to go, to keep that door open.
do you know the reasons that your parents want you to go to this school rather than the one you want to go to?
Reply 8
Original post by musicalrose
do you know the reasons that your parents want you to go to this school rather than the one you want to go to?

They just like the place. It's a horrible school
Reply 9
Original post by ashton23
I don't know your situation, so perhaps this is out of place, but I doubt they'll listen to you if you act like that. In their minds, it justifies their decision because they see it as evidence that you aren't mature enough to make it yourself.

I'm not sure how much came before this obviously because everyone can get frustrated, but I think talking calmly would probably be a better approach. Ask them to explain their rationale, and put yours forward in a respectful way. They may see your side if you do it this way.

If they don't, weigh up how much you don't want to go to this place. Would you adapt, and make new friends? Or is it honestly unbearable? If the latter, then perhaps talk to your school and see if they could help you to apply where you want to go, to keep that door open.

Tried that and they just got angry and kept saying no
They just like the place. It's a horrible school

Why would they like a horrible school? What's the Ofsted rating?

Quick Reply

Latest