Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What's going on?
Do universities with a requirement know about this?
Typhoons
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which unis require STEP1?
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought Cambridge was the only uni requesting specific STEP papers, and they request 2 and 3 - any other uni I've seen requesting STEP just has a grade requirement for any paper, so people can just sit one of the other 2 instead.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Typhoons)
Which unis require STEP1?
I know Imperial has it, as part of their offer.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I thought Cambridge was the only uni requesting specific STEP papers, and they request 2 and 3 - any other uni I've seen requesting STEP just has a grade requirement for any paper, so people can just sit one of the other 2 instead.
I believe Imperial too has a STEP offer, but I'm not sure what's going to happen
:puppyeyes:
Last edited by Parziva1; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm guessing it's because STEP 1 was designed for people who haven't taken A-level Further Maths, however a) all the courses requiring STEP require A-level Further Maths now (which wasn't always the case) and b) FM provision has dramatically improved and it's much more commonly available, and the AMSP provides options for students to take it even if it isn't offered by their school. So there isn't really any need/point in having people take STEP 1 with STEP 2, since everyone needing to take a STEP exam will have (in principle) taken FM and will be able to offer STEP 2 and STEP 3 instead, thus there is no longer a need to offer the STEP 1 paper at all.
Typhoons
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imperial doesn’t ask for STEP1

“Conditional offers to post-15 applicants who were unable to take MAT will include a STEP requirement. This may also be applied to conditional offers to applicants taking other qualification types.

Our minimum STEP offer is a Grade 2 in either the STEP II or STEP III papers. Both the grade and the number of papers may be increased in some cases.”

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...thematics-bsc/
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'm guessing it's because STEP 1 was designed for people who haven't taken A-level Further Maths, however a) all the courses requiring STEP require A-level Further Maths now (which wasn't always the case) and b) FM provision has dramatically improved and it's much more commonly available, and the AMSP provides options for students to take it even if it isn't offered by their school. So there isn't really any need/point in having people take STEP 1 with STEP 2, since everyone needing to take a STEP exam will have (in principle) taken FM and will be able to offer STEP 2 and STEP 3 instead, thus there is no longer a need to offer the STEP 1 paper at all.
Dam I haven't taken FM, will I be roasted by the requirement of STEP 2/3 now ?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Parziva1)
Dam I haven't taken FM, will I be roasted by the requirement of STEP 2/3 now ?
Where are you applying (and for what) that requires STEP but not A-level Further Maths?
Parziva1
Rep:
?
Where are you applying (and for what) that requires STEP but not A-level Further Maths?
Imperial- Computer Science - requires A Level Maths (prefers FM) and offer includes STEP
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imperial- Computer Science - requires A Level Maths (prefers FM) and offer includes STEP
Well STEP 2 can be done by people without FM, my impression was it's just harder than STEP 1. STEP 3 is the paper that assumes FM knowledge. They'll either not require STEP when STEP 1 goes (they might use the MAT or something similar) or they will ask for STEP 2 I guess.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh I just saw the announcement. Universities should/will take this into account. Ie. They shouldn't ask you to do STEP II/III if you haven't done FM. STEP II requires AS FM, STEP III the full FM.

They might decide to ask for the MAT/TMUA in its place, you should ask. If not you're probably SOL, unfortunately. (unless you want to learn AS FM to sit STEP II say)
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well STEP 2 can be done by people without FM, my impression was it's just harder than STEP 1. STEP 3 is the paper that assumes FM knowledge. They'll either not require STEP when STEP 1 goes (they might use the MAT or something similar) or they will ask for STEP 2 I guess.
STEP II changed to include AS FM from 2019 so STEP I was the only one fully accessible for people who hadn't done FM.
Parziva1
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
STEP II changed to include AS FM from 2019 so STEP I was the only one fully accessible for people who hadn't done FM.
I am sitting the TMUA, but isn't that way harder than STEP 1?
Is it really fair to ask/require us to have done well in the TMUA as a substitute for the STEP I
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am sitting the TMUA, but isn't that way harder than STEP 1?
Is it really fair to ask/require us to have done well in the TMUA as a substitute for the STEP I
No - (substantially, guess depending on who you ask) easier. Perhaps less forgiving due to MCQs.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Ah, I didn't realise that...
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hear about this as well. I was thinking they might use AEA (Advanced Extension Award) Maths for this cycle only as it is usually taken in same series as STEP (Summer time). Then for next cycle they will have something properly in place.
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are right about FM provision increasing but due to covid restrictions and the guidance on bubbles it is so much harder to find a place to sit exams. For example, my school no longer accept private candidate entries cuz of the bubbles and social distancing in exams and they need to maximise the space and resources for students studying subjects with the school.

I am thinking they will use the AEA maths this cycle
WassupLadz
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
AEA is discontinued since 2018.
CurryCurry2468
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by WassupLadz)
AEA is discontinued since 2018.
No it has not been discontinued.
There is a new spec exam for AEA with the first exam series being summer 2019
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (789)
42.06%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (372)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.48%

Watched Threads