sigma_108
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey there.. I'm a prospective JMC student in year 13. I've applied for JMC and will hopefully get a reply in due time. I was just wondering whether or not I'll have to sit the STEP exam (if I get an offer). On the website it says "Typical offers include STEP requirements." but not much more. I'm applying to Oxford for the joint course and hopefully make it in there but if not Imperial is my next preference. Does everyone get a STEP requirement or only a few people?

If it's relevant: I got all (11) 9s at GCSE and I am predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you google there have been freedom of information requests made on the subject of STEP offers. Most often they asked for STEP I when they required STEP, but STEP I is going to be discontinued from 2021 onwards so... who knows!
sigma_108
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
If you google there have been freedom of information requests made on the subject of STEP offers. Most often they asked for STEP I when they required STEP, but STEP I is going to be discontinued from 2021 onwards so... who knows!
PRSOM but thanks! I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Maximus 190
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wasn’t even aware they included STEP with offers, they already have their own online entrance exam so I thought that was enough. Don’t really want to do STEP…
sigma_108
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maximus 190)
I wasn’t even aware they included STEP with offers, they already have their own online entrance exam so I thought that was enough. Don’t really want to do STEP…
The online entrance exam is more of a basic skills aptitude test I believe. I’m just worried that due to the removal of STEP I they might make us do STEP II and/or III which will take a considerable amount of preparation.
Maximus 190
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sigma_108)
The online entrance exam is more of a basic skills aptitude test I believe. I’m just worried that due to the removal of STEP I they might make us do STEP II and/or III which will take a considerable amount of preparation.
Yeah I don’t want to spend months and months preparing for the STEP exam, especially when Imperial are the only uni I’m applying to which could require it. What sorts of grades do they usually want in STEP do you know?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sigma_108)
Hey there.. I'm a prospective JMC student in year 13. I've applied for JMC and will hopefully get a reply in due time. I was just wondering whether or not I'll have to sit the STEP exam (if I get an offer). On the website it says "Typical offers include STEP requirements." but not much more. I'm applying to Oxford for the joint course and hopefully make it in there but if not Imperial is my next preference. Does everyone get a STEP requirement or only a few people?

If it's relevant: I got all (11) 9s at GCSE and I am predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
My son read JMC at Imperial, but applied with US qualifications. They didn't require STEP for him.

You could ask their tutor for admissions, but they will be very busy, so I'd just wait. If you are interviewed, I'd raise it then, and tell them that you took the MAT. Good luck for both Oxford and Imperial.
sigma_108
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
My son read JMC at Imperial, but applied with US qualifications. They didn't require STEP for him.

You could ask their tutor for admissions, but they will be very busy, so I'd just wait. If you are interviewed, I'd raise it then, and tell them that you took the MAT. Good luck for both Oxford and Imperial.
Yeah that makes sense.. I know that not all applicants are asked for it. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (532)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (646)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (316)
20.18%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise