JulieM1960
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My daughter has a place to study an MA in English and has been awarded the full amount. She is taking the course over 2 years.However, the course has changed significantly due to Covid and it is not the course that she applied for.If she repays the loan money that she has already received would she be able to reapply for for another loan for an MA at a different university next year?Please can someone help
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...ing_1617_d.pdf

She would need to provide compelling personal reasons why she has withdrawn in order to be able to receive the loan again.
(I personally don’t know that Covid will be seen as a compelling personal reason or not though. )
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 month ago
JulieM1960
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...ing_1617_d.pdf

She would need to provide compelling personal reasons why she has withdrawn in order to be able to receive the loan again.
(I personally don’t know that Covid will be seen as a compelling personal reason or not though. )
Thank you - I thought that this might be the case. It is very sad because she really wanted to do a Victorian Literature module and the Victorian modules have been dropped. She is commuting into the university and she could pay off the loan if they would let her and try again next year.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JulieM1960)
Thank you - I thought that this might be the case. It is very sad because she really wanted to do a Victorian Literature module and the Victorian modules have been dropped. She is commuting into the university and she could pay off the loan if they would let her and try again next year.
Sadly, universities can drop or change modules for a variety of reasons (even during pre-COVID times this was not uncommon).
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JulieM1960)
I think call up student finance/ the uni as there is usually a grace period where you can drop out and not pay anything but that is relatively short, although I am not sure how this would affect her ability to get a loan next year
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tommy988)
I think call up student finance/ the uni as there is usually a grace period where you can drop out and not pay anything but that is relatively short, although I am not sure how this would affect her ability to get a loan next year
I believe the grace period for universities is 14 days (not sure if that's working days or calendar days), however I have heard that SF is pretty strict (i.e. once even 1p from them hits your account, you're liable and it counts as a funded year).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads