The Student Room Group

Worried about girlfriend self-medicating with meds from the internet

I recently discovered that my girlfriend has been buying psychiatric medications off the internet to self-medicate.
She buys things like various antidepressants and some benzos.

When I confronted her about this, I asked her to give them to me so I could throw them away. She started crying and kicked me out the flat for a few hours. When she let me back in, she said she has hidden all the medications where I will never find them.
I tried to ask her to see a GP so they can give her the medications safely instead, and she said no because she's been before and they refused to prescribe her the medications she wanted.

She is quite mentally unstable, probably even more since she started these meds. She said she doesn't care that they're addictive because most people are addicted to alchohol or cigarettes. She said she can't go in to work without taking a benzo.

I am worried that this will lead to her buying worse drugs off the internet. Or am I overreacting? What should I do?
We are both in our 20s by the way.
follow your instincts it's always right maybe speak to a gp yourself for advice and seek some advice but do whatever you feel is right.
Original post by Anonymous
I recently discovered that my girlfriend has been buying psychiatric medications off the internet to self-medicate.
She buys things like various antidepressants and some benzos.

When I confronted her about this, I asked her to give them to me so I could throw them away. She started crying and kicked me out the flat for a few hours. When she let me back in, she said she has hidden all the medications where I will never find them.
I tried to ask her to see a GP so they can give her the medications safely instead, and she said no because she's been before and they refused to prescribe her the medications she wanted.

She is quite mentally unstable, probably even more since she started these meds. She said she doesn't care that they're addictive because most people are addicted to alchohol or cigarettes. She said she can't go in to work without taking a benzo.

I am worried that this will lead to her buying worse drugs off the internet. Or am I overreacting? What should I do?
We are both in our 20s by the way.

Benzos are serious man. Did you see what happened to Jordan Peterson 😧
Reply 3
Original post by SlytherinSoul
follow your instincts it's always right maybe speak to a gp yourself for advice and seek some advice but do whatever you feel is right.

Oh really? I didn't know GPs could do this, as in give advice for a patient who is not there with you. What do you think a GP would say/advise?
Reply 4
Original post by IVLIVSCAESAR
Benzos are serious man. Did you see what happened to Jordan Peterson 😧

No, I just Googled him. Surprised a clinical psychologist would take them if they're so serious.
I used to have a girlfriend like that, she turned into a full on alcoholic and drug addict and her personality got reallllllllly toxic and manipulative and many other bad things. She was like Gollum from lord of the rings at one point.
Original post by Anonymous
Oh really? I didn't know GPs could do this, as in give advice for a patient who is not there with you. What do you think a GP would say/advise?

idk not really as i'm not qualified as a doctor however i assure you they will be able to suggest things like therapy but about th medication i am unsure but you have to try to know the answer

Quick Reply

Latest