Applying to two unis lower on the rankings... does it matter as much as TSR says?

Watch
India Cullen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I've received offers from both LJMU and Chester for Zoology! I'm really happy, as both courses offer substantially more work experience and placements than the University of Manchester and University of Liverpool, from both of which I'm still waiting for replies.

I even sent an email to the department lead of Zoology at UoL, and he directed me to Chester as it was a more placement-based course, which is what I'm after as I'm aiming to be a keeper one day.

Here's the thing, I've been reading (probably too much) on here, and I know there's the mindset of 'if it isn't Russell Group, it's not worth going'. Can any current students or graduates weigh in on if they think their decision to attend a non-Russell Group and lower ranking uni was right or not?
Last edited by India Cullen; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by India Cullen)
both courses offer substantially more work experience and placements than the University of Manchester and University of Liverpool.
You have just spotted why 'rankings' are bunkum.

You have already worked out what you want in a degree course, and made your choice accordingly, well done.
If you want to work in the practical role of zoologist, then this is the type of course you should be doing. Those who want to do lots of theory stuff and academic research are better off at L'pol and Manc.

The simple truth is that no 'list', however that is devised, can ever tell you if you will enjoy that particular course or like being at that Uni. Rankings and League Tables are published by newspapers - mainly to publicise the newspaper. They all have different rankings so that in itself tells you they are at best unhelpful, and at worst, expensive nonsense.

You have made your choices for all the right reasons. Congratulations, and I hope you have a great time at Uni and a successful career.
India Cullen
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
You have just spotted why 'rankings' are bunkum.

You have already worked out what you want in a degree course, and made your choice accordingly, well done.
If you want to work in the practical role of zoologist, then this is the type of course you should be doing. Those who want to do lots of theory stuff and academic research are better off at L'pol and Manc.

The simple truth is that no 'list', however that is devised, can ever tell you if you will enjoy that particular course or like being at that Uni. Rankings and League Tables are published by newspapers - mainly to publicise the newspaper. They all have different rankings so that in itself tells you they are at best unhelpful, and at worst, expensive nonsense.

You have made your choices for all the right reasons. Congratulations, and I hope you have a great time at Uni and a successful career.
Thank you, I'm a mature student so the decision of going back to university is not one that I've taken lightly. For this reason, I seem to be hyper-analysing every single choice.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I've received offers from both LJMU and Chester for Zoology! I'm really happy, as both courses offer substantially more work experience and placements than the University of Manchester and University of Liverpool, from both of which I'm still waiting for replies.

I even sent an email to the department lead of Zoology at UoL, and he directed me to Chester as it was a more placement-based course, which is what I'm after as I'm aiming to be a keeper one day.

Here's the thing, I've been reading (probably too much) on here, and I know there's the mindset of 'if it isn't Russel Group, it's not worth going'. Can any current students or graduates weigh in on if they think their decision to attend a non-Russel Group and lower ranking uni was right or not?
firstly I would like to congratulate you for receiving offers for Zoology and at a unis you would like to do it at !!!!!!
:clap2::congrats:

there's really no point in living your life trying to make other people's opinions happy by making them disappear - you realistically can't impress all 7 billion people on earth so just you do you
and rankings fluctuate a bit every year , its literally a number next to a name

*its Russell Group with the 2 Ls
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TSR is not an accurate representation of all students or student views :nah: If you like Chester and John Moores then go for them!
India Cullen
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
firstly I would like to congratulate you for receiving offers for Zoology and at a unis you would like to do it at !!!!!!
:clap2::congrats:

there's really no point in living your life trying to make other people's opinions happy by making them disappear - you realistically can't impress all 7 billion people on earth so just you do you
and rankings fluctuate a bit every year , its literally a number next to a name

*its Russell Group with the 2 Ls
Thank you, that's a really good way to put things into perspective. As a mature student, I just want to make the best decision I possibly can, as going back into education at 24 is quite a scary thought.

....and I've changed it, so we'll agree that it never happened, right?
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you, that's a really good way to put things into perspective. As a mature student, I just want to make the best decision I possibly can, as going back into education at 24 is quite a scary thought.

....and I've changed it, so we'll agree that it never happened, right?
Good luck and enjoy yourself !!!!!!

if you're worried about age; TSR has this little gem of a thread (its not for zoology specifically, sorry) full of people in their late 30s and 40s choosing to apply to med so in your spare time you can read it and feel even more motivated and inspired : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6316066

Spoiler:
Show
*whispers* :shakehand:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (655)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (828)
42.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (381)
19.53%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.46%

Watched Threads