northmost
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, I hope someone could give me some help based on my circumstance.
I failed to get a place in LSE last year because of my GCSE English language, I got 5 and they asked for 6. I thought it would be fine if I can just submit an equivalent English qualification before the results day, but obviously LSE don’t accept appeals, so that was it.
Now I’m holding my A Level results and ready to start a new application. But I talked to the admission today in regard to English requirement and I found that I was totally wrong about it: GCSE English language is a rigid criteria for LSE to select applicants if they’ve taken it. And no matter how well I did in other English tests (I’ve already got 7.5 in IELTS), they cannot offset my GCSE grade, which means LSE will consider GCSE English separately from other qualifications.
The admissions officer didn’t say whether I would be rejected again because of GCSE English, but she did state that I’ll be disadvantaged.
To be honest, I wasn’t pleased with this grade 5 either, but that was the best I could do back to then, as an international student. And there’s no way I can re-sit the exam because I’ve graduated from my college and I’m currently out of UK.
I don’t know if any of you has been in the same situation as I do, and I don’t know how you felt , but now I’m so depressed and frustrated. I think it will be a great pity if I can’t get into LSE simply because of English grade. What you guys think? Should I continue to apply? How likely will I get an offer this time?
Advertisement
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, it is a pity but if they've said that they can't offset your GCSE grade & that GCSE English Language is a rigid criteria when it comes to selecting applicants for them.. then sadly, no matter how good your A Levels are/ your IELTS, I don't think that you'd get an offer. I guess it's cause they're such a competitive university, and you haven't met their entry requirements (for GCSEs) thus I'm afraid it'll most likely be a rejection again.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They've already told you that it is a fixed requirement and you don't meet it, so there seems little point to apply again if you aren't retaking the GCSE.

Incidentally in general for UK universities (including for domestic applicants), requirements for specific grades in particular GCSE subjects (e.g. "6 in GCSE English and Maths") are usually pretty strictly enforced, with little to no flexibility from universities on those. Not all universities have such requirements, but where they exist they tend to be an area where unis aren't flexible.
northmost
Rep:
?
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
Honestly, it is a pity but if they've said that they can't offset your GCSE grade & that GCSE English Language is a rigid criteria when it comes to selecting applicants for them.. then sadly, no matter how good your A Levels are/ your IELTS, I don't think that you'd get an offer. I guess it's cause they're such a competitive university, and you haven't met their entry requirements (for GCSEs) thus I'm afraid it'll most likely be a rejection again.
(Original post by artful_lounger)
They've already told you that it is a fixed requirement and you don't meet it, so there seems little point to apply again if you aren't retaking the GCSE.

Incidentally in general for UK universities (including for domestic applicants), requirements for specific grades in particular GCSE subjects (e.g. "6 in GCSE English and Maths") are usually pretty strictly enforced, with little to no flexibility from universities on those. Not all universities have such requirements, but where they exist they tend to be an area where unis aren't flexible.
Thank you, I understood. I know it’s competitive and that’s probably the reason why they set this requirement. But I still think it’s quite unfair, two of my friends both got offers from LSE, and they only did A levels so they don’t need to worry about GCSEs, and I can say for sure, their English is no better than mine...Sorry I’m just complaining, I know it won’t change anything.
northmost
Rep:
?
Just came up with another question: I didn’t take a gap year actually, instead I chose to study economics and finance at the University of Bristol. If I re-apply, I’ll need to be a fresher again in 2021. I believe it’s worth doing if I can get into LSE (now LSE seems unlikely), but I don’t know if UCL is also a good choice for me? Is UCL really worth giving up in Bristol?
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (736)
41.7%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (351)
19.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.48%

Watched Threads