MSc Computer Science (conversion course) - 2021/2022

Watch
ladams
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thread to discuss application to conversion style MSc Computer Science courses for degrees starting in 2021.

Previous years:
2018/2019
2019/2020

I am a doctor with some experience in web and app development as well as a bit of SQL/Python/Java for smaller projects. Interested in MedTech/DataSci.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Imperial:
£15,500 -> £18,500 *New for 2020! £80 Application fee introduced!

UCL:
£13,500 -> £16,000

Oxford
Computing course rebranded to Advanced Computing, no longer accepting conversion students

What a horrible year
AndyChow
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
These kinds of courses are oversubscribed because people from every subject wanted to join the lucrative CS industry. This gave leverage to IC/UCL to scalp domestic students a big one this year, for a low budget course that teaches nothing more than basic stuff you can buy on Udemy for £10.

Was thinking about gaining some computer science skills in case I lose my job in the future but for this price...yeah I'm sticking to my current job
sonal7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I didnt think in CS you need a degree, its all work experience. Jobs, Gates and Zuck dont have degrees or are drop out. I find that interesting. I am wondering as some of you might have CS degress, please would you put a list of all your undergrad reading list? A snapshot might be good.
AndyChow
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sonal7)
I didnt think in CS you need a degree, its all work experience. Jobs, Gates and Zuck dont have degrees or are drop out. I find that interesting. I am wondering as some of you might have CS degress, please would you put a list of all your undergrad reading list? A snapshot might be good.
Out of all college dropouts you have Jobs, Gates, and Zuck, and a million others with no jobs. The success rate is less than winning the lotto, I for one don't fancy my chances.

Plenty of people with a cs degree and work experience are having trouble finding jobs, good luck applying for SE roles with no degree, you'd be lucky to even get an interview
sonal7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AndyChow)
Out of all college dropouts you have Jobs, Gates, and Zuck, and a million others with no jobs. The success rate is less than winning the lotto, I for one don't fancy my chances.

Plenty of people with a cs degree and work experience are having trouble finding jobs, good luck applying for SE roles with no degree, you'd be lucky to even get an interview
I think there are internships and other paid work. It depends on portfolio. I agree with you a lot that its a good idea either to do a master as a lot of successful also did these. I am wondering about textbooks for undergrad. Please post a list if you have any thoughts.
Last edited by sonal7; 4 months ago
ladams
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Imperial:
£15,500 -> £18,500 *New for 2020! £80 Application fee introduced!

UCL:
£13,500 -> £16,000

Oxford
Computing course rebranded to Advanced Computing, no longer accepting conversion students

What a horrible year
I know it's a bit grim. UCL have an application fee too - horrendous. A year to remember.

These kinds of courses are oversubscribed because people from every subject wanted to join the lucrative CS industry. This gave leverage to IC/UCL to scalp domestic students a big one this year, for a low budget course that teaches nothing more than basic stuff you can buy on Udemy for £10.

Was thinking about gaining some computer science skills in case I lose my job in the future but for this price...yeah I'm sticking to my current job
I agree that there is probably little - actually no - content that can't be gained from of a Udemy/MOOC; but I the benefits are really there:
1. a degree is (in the eyes of an employer) equivocal to a Udemy™ course
2. having a degree from UCL/IC is a big boost in job applications
3. the networking effect and opportunities that you get in a degree are very beneficial

Whether it is worth the £16+k is a different question, but I can see the appeal (then again I am biased as I am applying).

AndyChow if you don't mind me asking what is your current job?
jonnystudent21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What do people think of the Computing MSc at Edinburgh Napier University? (https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/msc...duate-fulltime) Seems to be a conversion course although it isn't explicitly stated. Thinking of applying for the January start if possible since I don't want to wait till next September.
AndyChow
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ladams)
AndyChow if you don't mind me asking what is your current job?
Low level civil servant since only the public sector would take chemistry graduates lol. Did quite bad on the fast stream final round so was instead direct appointed to a secretary role
tx026849198
Badges: 2
Report 3 months ago
Hi there! Thinking of applying for msc cs at UCL- does anyone know where it states that you must submit code?
sgman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I just received a rejection from UCL. I’m still waiting to hear back from Imperial, but I’m guessing if UCL has said no, chances are quite slim of me getting into Imperial?Anyone heard of students who were accepted by Imperial but not UCL?
Chronokeeper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What was your degree grade? I'm assuming that if you were rejected on that basis from UCL, you won't get into Imperial.
riku272
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! I applied to Bristol (in Oct), Imperial (in Oct) and UCL (in Nov). I have received an offer from Bristol (Dec), requiring a 2:1, yet to hear from others. My expected grade is a 1st.
Last edited by riku272; 2 months ago
ash_khre
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jonnystudent21)
What do people think of the Computing MSc at Edinburgh Napier University? (https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/msc...duate-fulltime) Seems to be a conversion course although it isn't explicitly stated. Thinking of applying for the January start if possible since I don't want to wait till next September.
I checked it out. They haven’t mentioned the modules except for the one on project dissertation.

(Original post by riku272)
Hi! I applied to Bristol (in Oct), Imperial (in Oct) and UCL (in Nov). I have received an offer from Bristol (Dec), requiring a 2:1, yet to hear from others. My expected grade is a 1st.
Congratulations on your offer! Could you share what you included in your PS?
riku272
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ash_khre)
I checked it out. They haven’t mentioned the modules except for the one on project dissertation.

Congratulations on your offer! Could you share what you included in your PS?
I tried to connect my bachelor's degree in business management with the conversion course as much as possible. For instance, I mentioned that I was enrolled in modules such as management information systems, database design, and financial computing which involved SQL, basic programming, etc. By nature, the program at UCL and Imperial were marketed as providing you with the skills to lead to interdisciplinary industrial positions, so a connection with business and computer science was something I really focused on. Also, I stressed a lot how this module would allow me to achieve my career goals and why I chose specifically this course (e.g., perhaps there are several optional and core modules that you are particularly interested in or which are in some way connected to your undergraduate degree or work experience). Hope this helps!
ash_khre
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by riku272)
I tried to connect my bachelor's degree in business management with the conversion course as much as possible. For instance, I mentioned that I was enrolled in modules such as management information systems, database design, and financial computing which involved SQL, basic programming, etc. By nature, the program at UCL and Imperial were marketed as providing you with the skills to lead to interdisciplinary industrial positions, so a connection with business and computer science was something I really focused on. Also, I stressed a lot how this module would allow me to achieve my career goals and why I chose specifically this course (e.g., perhaps there are several optional and core modules that you are particularly interested in or which are in some way connected to your undergraduate degree or work experience). Hope this helps!
thank you! could you tell how long was it? how many words approximately?
Last edited by ash_khre; 2 months ago
manfredbeluga
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I am currently doing the CS Conversion Master at UCL. There is an aggregated list of all available Conversion Programmes here:https://cs-conversion-list.com/?utm_source=tsrFeel free to share this list with other people
ironaldhino
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello
I will be applying for the Conversion Course starting in 2021/2022. I did a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have been learning coding in my spare time(python, frontend webdev, java).
My choices: Bath,Nottingham,Cardiff,Newcastl e,Kent.
ironaldhino
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by manfredbeluga)
Hi, I am currently doing the CS Conversion Master at UCL. There is an aggregated list of all available Conversion Programmes here:https://cs-conversion-list.com/?utm_source=tsrFeel free to share this list with other people
Thank you, That would have helped me soo much when I was searching for courses
veda123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys.

Has anyone heard back from Birmingham for the conversion course starting in September?

I have only applied to Liverpool and Birmingham. I received an offer from Liverpool a week after i applied.

I am prioritizing Birmingham due to the quality, however. Yet it has been over two months and i have not heard a response.

I reached out to them and they said that they were naturally very busy at this time but i would like to know if anyone else has heard a response.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (17)
22.67%
Unhappy (21)
28%
Conflicted (37)
49.33%

Watched Threads