MSc Computer Science (conversion course) - 2021/2022

Watch
kk20212
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anyone has received the offer from Nottingham already?
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i did a conversion at UoB and i wouldn't recommend the course.
the issues i found is that it was massively overpriced, over subscribed and the msc part is misleading (an msc suggests advanced knowledge when it really was a glorified CertHe). everything we learned is on the public domain - you could learn the same content from udemy courses, yt tutorials, texts books for a fraction of the tuition. in terms of careers folk like me who started from scratch you don't have the skills or knowledge to be capable to compete against bsc grads for a software developer job. you probably could apply for entry level jobs with considerable training. so many folks ended up in IT support or data analyst. tbh i think i started with an overly ambitious expectations so i suppose the point of the course is a leg up into IT where you really need to complement it with your first degree and work experience
Last edited by yeetouttawindow; 2 weeks ago
riku272
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yeetouttawindow)
i did a conversion at UoB and i wouldn't recommend the course.
the issues i found is that it was massively overpriced, over subscribed and the msc part is misleading (an msc suggests advanced knowledge when it really was a glorified CertHe). everything we learned is on the public domain - you could learn the same content from udemy courses, yt tutorials, texts books for a fraction of the tuition. in terms of careers folk like me who started from scratch you don't have the skills or knowledge to be capable to compete against bsc grads for a software developer job. you probably could apply for entry level jobs with considerable training. so many folks ended up in IT support or data analyst. tbh i think i started with an overly ambitious expectations so i suppose the point of the course is a leg up into IT where you really need to complement it with your first degree and work experience
thanks a lot for this! i am an upcoming UoB student. would you say all other conversion courses are basically the same? would you also say it is too difficult to get a grad job or internship at sth like software engineering or programming (e.g. only a few get lucky, perhaps 20% of grads at max or less)? and if u could back in time, would u have chosen another msc than the compsci conversion one (eg data science)?
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by riku272)
thanks a lot for this! i am an upcoming UoB student. would you say all other conversion courses are basically the same? would you also say it is too difficult to get a grad job or internship at sth like software engineering or programming (e.g. only a few get lucky, perhaps 20% of grads at max or less)? and if u could back in time, would u have chosen another msc than the compsci conversion one (eg data science)?
I applied for 5 unis and they were quite similar however some unis were much more focused on programming than others. UoB modules are quite broad however you learn 1 language. I believe Cardiff and UEA were much more programming focused so you probably won't have learnt as much of other areas. The chances of getting a job depends on your skills and experiences i.e. how well you match up to the bsc grads. If you have a STEM degree already, know a few programming languages maybe even got some work experience you probably could match up. But if you haven't got a STEM and started from scratch you won't be able to complete and probably wouldn't even be able to do the job. I'm not sure of % but I'm pretty sure compsci has a big unemployment rate because there are way more grads than jobs. I wouldn't have gone - or do any other msc degree.
Last edited by yeetouttawindow; 2 weeks ago
riku272
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yeetouttawindow)
I applied for 5 unis and they were quite similar however some unis were much more focused on programming than others. UoB modules are quite broad however you learn 1 language. I believe Cardiff and UEA were much more programming focused so you probably won't have learnt as much of other areas. The chances of getting a job depends on your skills and experiences i.e. how well you match up to the bsc grads. If you have a STEM degree already, know a few programming languages maybe even got some work experience you probably could match up. But if you haven't got a STEM and started from scratch you won't be able to complete and probably wouldn't even be able to do the job. I'm not sure of % but I'm pretty sure compsci has a big unemployment rate because there are way more grads than jobs. I wouldn't have gone - or do any other msc degree.
thank you! i am interested in compsci in general and applied to the compsci conversion thinking that i would easily get a job offer/accepted for a gradscheme afterwards (delusional i know). i was under the false impression that there was an immense shortage in the industry and that more compsci grads were needed.
1Max1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone know if MSc CS conversion courses reject students if they have too much programming experience?

I am studying EE Engineering right now but it included a few programming modules and one module on machine learning. Anyone know if that'll count as too much experience?
veda123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I just received an offer from UoB. I applied in Mid november.

Not sure if they weren't checking applications until a certain date or if they are slow, but there's a heads up if anyones wondering how long it might take.
malidsks
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by veda123)
I just received an offer from UoB. I applied in Mid november.

Not sure if they weren't checking applications until a certain date or if they are slow, but there's a heads up if anyones wondering how long it might take.
They have clearly stated that they are only going to review the application after a certain date. You can see that information on the official website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (69)
12.08%
Virtual campus tours/open days (140)
24.52%
Live streaming events (49)
8.58%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (54)
9.46%
A uni comparison tool (132)
23.12%
An in-person event when available (127)
22.24%