How can I integrate exercise into my lifestyle?

Watch
Makijuice
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Now I know in order to lose weight/build muscle you need to have exercise as part of your lifestyle rather than a one time thing. Thing is I'm kinda struggling to do that. Story time:

In secondary school I was quite skinny. Partially due to me barely ever eating and just running around. After secondary school, I took a gap year cos I didn't know what to do with my career. I started working with my dad but most of the time I sat on my ass playing xbox. Doing that for a whole year, I put on a lot of weight. I was fat.

I then completed an apprenticeship and was working for another 2 years. My weight kind maintained at where it was. I wasn't getting fatter but I wasn't getting skinnier either.

I then decided I wanted to return to education and completely change the field I was in. Now my commute to college required me to walk over a mile to the station every morning, get on the train, stand around at the next station for another train for around 20 mins, And then walk a further 15 mins from that station to college. Plus my lifestyle at college was very active so in between lessons we'd always walk around town or go to the park. I would then do that same commute home. So in total I was easily walking more than an hour each day. Anyway, I lost baaaaarrrrreeeeee weight during college. My lifestyle was fantastic. I felt happy, I was looking really skinny and lean and my figure was awesome.

After leaving college, I started uni. Now with uni I didn't have to walk to the station, I caught the bus to the next town. Now even though I wasn't walking to the station anymore, my figure maintained because I had joined the gym and used to walk to the gym and back every other day.

And then and then and then, I got a car. You can see where this is going. the walking stopped, eventually I was losing motivation at the gym. I noticed I was putting on some weight again.

Now since lockdown. I've done next to 0 exercise. This is also partially due to my mental health.

But enough of that, I want to get some discipline in my life. I want to be healthy again and free of these health issues I'm having. I want to be skinny again and lose this weight I've gained. On a percentage (100% me being proper fat like I used to and 0% being when I was proper nice, skinny and lean) I'm currently at around 50%. I want that number to go back down to 0.

How can I introduce exercise into my life without it feeling like a chore. In college it was easy cos it was natural and part of my routine to get to college. But now there is no MO for me to exercise.
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Find a sport you like so it’s something you choose to do rather than something you feel you have to do. Have a look at your uni sports clubs
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try running.
oglez92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah yes. The car. That can make some of us so extremely lazy! I'm no saint here in this department.
I guess for me, I often walk to the supermarket now instead of driving. That's about 5 miles there and back, as opposed to driving. It feels nice to get out and get some fresh air, and having a rucksack for all my shopping makes it much easier. I suppose that's one tactic you can include.
I would suggest the obvious and get a gym membership, but maybe that's not something you would necessarily enjoy. Maybe there'd be some group exercises/classes that would provide a sociable environment for you and make it feel like being part of a community. If that makes sense? Or maybe there's a community walking/running group in your area. Again for similar reasons.
Do you work or study at the moment? How do you get to and from there?

Hope my advice was helpful
Makijuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by oglez92)
Ah yes. The car. That can make some of us so extremely lazy! I'm no saint here in this department.
I guess for me, I often walk to the supermarket now instead of driving. That's about 5 miles there and back, as opposed to driving. It feels nice to get out and get some fresh air, and having a rucksack for all my shopping makes it much easier. I suppose that's one tactic you can include.
I would suggest the obvious and get a gym membership, but maybe that's not something you would necessarily enjoy. Maybe there'd be some group exercises/classes that would provide a sociable environment for you and make it feel like being part of a community. If that makes sense? Or maybe there's a community walking/running group in your area. Again for similar reasons.
Do you work or study at the moment? How do you get to and from there?

Hope my advice was helpful
I'm still studying but it's all online.

I'm trying walking at the moment so I've sent my self the goal of walking 3 miles a day. I've also downloaded an app which measures my progress
just_m3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to find a way to make you exercise without it feeling like a chore. I guess we don't know you too well so it's difficult for us to say it better than you. My personal experience is that in the beginning it just feels like a chore. Sorry but that is what it is. Only after regularly exercising does it start to become something that's part of the daily routine, something that I "just do". And only a while after that, did it begin to feel like something that I was really missing when I wouldn't.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you do any exercise this weekend?
Makijuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Did you do any exercise this weekend?
Ahh thanks gor checking up. I did yesterday. I've printed off a workout calendar and my goal is to exercise at least 4 days a week. So Starting off I'm walking 2 miles a day. So I've done that 4 days already this week. I didnt today but I will tomorrow
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.38%

Watched Threads