Students from northern England facing 'toxic attitude' at Durham University

Watch
looloo2134
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ham-university

“In the college dining hall I have been called a ‘dirty northerner’, and a ‘chav’... A fellow student asked me: ‘Are you going to take the spare food home to feed your family?
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Guardian has splashed this story today.
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...cent-prejudice

I wasn't born in the UK (I have a US parent), so I get to see this from outside a little bit - there are many different ways classism shows itself here (as it does in other countries in various ways) - accent is a big one. Despite changes in what are considered 'posh' accents, there is still a heavy pressure to find the 'educated Southern' accent to be the 'right' one and to dismiss strong regional accents. There seems to be particular bias against certain accents, such as the Brummie one, the North Eastern and the Northern.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will always get stuck-up over-entitled kids at any University.
They have a very odd view of the world because of selective schooling and the class attitude of their parents.

The best response is always to challenge their assumptions - 'And why would you think I would need to do that? etc.
If the attitude/comments persist (even if not directed at you personally), see a Personal Tutor, Dean, Head of College etc etc and name-names.
Its an arrogant form of bullying and it needs to be called out.
Last edited by McGinger; 1 month ago
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
You will always get stuck-up over-entitled kids at any University.
They have a very odd view of the world because of selective schooling and the class attitude of their parents.

The best response is always to challenge their assumptions - 'And why would you think I would need to do that? etc.
If the attitude/comments persist (even if not directed at you personally), see a Personal Tutor, Dean, Head of College etc etc and name-names.
Its an arrogant form of bullying and it needs to be called out.
TBH I think some of it melts out as you get older at college. I think when you first get there, there's a kind of desire to be clannish and part of a gang that's influenced strongly by teenage feelings and not being such an independent adult. This tends to get weaker as you make better relationships and become a little more mature.

Some of the people quoted in the article are probably being over-sensitive and thus easy prey for the jibes, but I guess it is difficult when one feels on one's own to put up a good fight sometimes. Probably there should be Socs based on regions and accents, I think there are in some unis. Nothing like safety in numbers.
tsrholicc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some Oxbridge and low ranking uni grads (like those from low-ranked Durham) are the most aggressive and apartheid loving people who are destroying the UK.

These people have performed the worst in Europe during the COVID crisis, since all they learn to do is attack others. There are so many better research unis out there like Imperial, LSE, UCL etc. but these people just want to enslave everyone else no matter what
Kitten in boots
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One of my favourite memories while at Durham was when three Southern girls were ripping the piss out of girl from Carlisle because of her accent.

She punched one of them square in the face. There was blood, tears and a warm welcome to the real world.

On a serious note. The vast majority of Durham students were absolutely fine. The problem is there is a visible majority of kids from wealthy backgrounds who aren't too bright (amazing how well school fees can mask stupidity), are extremely immature, and have such a sense of self-entitlement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
29.76%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.69%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (43)
25.6%

Watched Threads