Please help! Is my calculator in the right mode?

Watch
snapnap
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was doing homework with a friend, and we both input the exact same sum into our calculators. Hers gave her the correct answer to the question, but mine gave me something completely different.

Both are Casio fx-85GT PLUS calculators, both are in default degree mode, and both are in default "Math". The only difference is a little 'M' symbol at the top of her screen, but we've been told that just means there's a value stored there (completely unrelated to the calculation itself)

I've reset my calculator, because mine is clearly the one with the problem, just in case I'd accidentally messed up the settings without realising, but nothing changed; it's still giving me the completely wrong answer.

Can anyone think of what the problem is?
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by snapnap)
I was doing homework with a friend, and we both input the exact same sum into our calculators. Hers gave her the correct answer to the question, but mine gave me something completely different.

Both are Casio fx-85GT PLUS calculators, both are in default degree mode, and both are in default "Math". The only difference is a little 'M' symbol at the top of her screen, but we've been told that just means there's a value stored there (completely unrelated to the calculation itself)

I've reset my calculator, because mine is clearly the one with the problem, just in case I'd accidentally messed up the settings without realising, but nothing changed; it's still giving me the completely wrong answer.

Can anyone think of what the problem is?
Generally different answers are due to bracketing errors or being in the wrong angle mode, but if you've typed in exactly the same thing and are definitely in the right angles, it should give you the same thing.

The only other thing I can think of is if your calculator allows you to change the base you're working in, but resetting the calculator should have fixed that if that was the case.

What is the question you're trying, and what answer are you getting?
snapnap
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Generally different answers are due to bracketing errors or being in the wrong angle mode, but if you've typed in exactly the same thing and are definitely in the right angles, it should give you the same thing.

The only other thing I can think of is if your calculator allows you to change the base you're working in, but resetting the calculator should have fixed that if that was the case.

What is the question you're trying, and what answer are you getting?
The calculation was sin^-1(13sin(29)/17) and the answer my friend got was 39.068. The answer I got, however, was 21.761. We checked a ton of times that we were typing in the same thing, so I definitely don't think that's the case. Any thoughts?
Last edited by snapnap; 1 month ago
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The calculation was sin^-1(13sin(29)/17) and the answer my friend got was 39.068. The answer I got, however, was 21.76. We checked a ton of times that we were typing in the same thing, so I definitely don't think that's the case. Any thoughts?
I just typed it in my calculator as you've written it there and got 21.76 too, I'll have a bit of a play around to see if I can get 39.068 (I'm assuming you've been told that's the correct answer?).
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just typed it in my calculator as you've written it there and got 21.76 too, I'll have a bit of a play around to see if I can get 39.068 (I'm assuming you've been told that's the correct answer?).
Ditto.
deadroseex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh just clear the whole thing! I have the same calculator, then try!
snapnap
Rep:
?
Yeah, it was an online question so we got our results to the question back immediately, the answer my friend got was marked correct.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, it was an online question so we got our results to the question back immediately, the answer my friend got was marked correct.
I get 39.0687 by using 10 instead of 17, but that seems a bit random! This seems like a sine rule question, was there a 10 kicking around somewhere?
snapnap
Rep:
?
I get 39.0687 by using 10 instead of 17, but that seems a bit random! This seems like a sine rule question, was there a 10 kicking around somewhere?
OH!!! There was! I don't know how her calculator figured out the answer using 17, but the replacing it with a 10 definitely makes sense in the context of the question! Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise