ayraell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know what you guys do and how you revise - in year 12 I've been constantly getting Ds in biology and chemistry and I don't know what to do, I'm in year 13 and I really want to get good grades but just can't seem to pull them up, my predicted grades are ABB but initially I was supposed to get AAA, any tips? I'm honestly losing hope
tigera111
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I used to get Es and Ds but rose to Bs. All I do is look cover write check then look for exam questions on the topic.
ayraell
Rep:
?
(Original post by tigera111)
So I used to get Es and Ds but rose to Bs. All I do is look cover write check then look for exam questions on the topic.
That sounds really helpful actually, thank you I'll try that method
Jdjdjdjdjd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why have you been predicted ABB if you are a self-proclaimed "D student".
ilostmyheads
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ayraell)
hey everyone, i just wanted to know what you guys do and how you revise - in year 12 i've been constantly getting ds in biology and chemistry and i don't know what to do, i'm in year 13 and i really want to get good grades but just can't seem to pull them up, my predicted grades are abb but initially i was supposed to get aaa, any tips? i'm honestly losing hope
are we literally the same person??? Literally exactly the same predicted grades. Exactly how i am feeling right now oh my goodness
ayraell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd)
Why have you been predicted ABB if you are a self-proclaimed "D student".
My teachers are honestly the sweetest people and have been really understanding with corona, they also take into account homework grades (which are usually Bs) and I think I make myself seem like a pretty hardworking student to them at least, plus it was ABC but my head of hall was nice enough to bump one up
ayraell
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilostmyheads)
are we literally the same person??? Literally exactly the same predicted grades. Exactly how i am feeling right now oh my goodness
No way omg? Glad I'm not alone! Let's hope we both get the grades that we want in the end <3
Foxfeet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm on a D in history (any tips pls) but for biology ACTIVE revision, record yourself listen to it, flashcards, post-it notes around your house etc, and practice questions constantly, application is where I was losing marks x
Mckailer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know what you guys do and how you revise - in year 12 I've been constantly getting Ds in biology and chemistry and I don't know what to do, I'm in year 13 and I really want to get good grades but just can't seem to pull them up, my predicted grades are ABB but initially I was supposed to get AAA, any tips? I'm honestly losing hope
I went from D's and E's to B's and A's by going over the powerpoints sent out to us thoroughly before an end of topic test and doing plenty of questions on each topic, asking the teachers for help on the bits I didn't understand.
ayraell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Foxfeet)
I'm on a D in history (any tips pls) but for biology ACTIVE revision, record yourself listen to it, flashcards, post-it notes around your house etc, and practice questions constantly, application is where I was losing marks x
Oooh okay thank you, how many hours of revision do you suggest a day, and do you usually go over old stuff?

And good luck for history x
ayraell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mckailer)
I went from D's and E's to B's and A's by going over the powerpoints sent out to us thoroughly before an end of topic test and doing plenty of questions on each topic, asking the teachers for help on the bits I didn't understand.
That's really impressive, what was your revision timetable/schedule like?
Mckailer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's really impressive, what was your revision timetable/schedule like?
I don't due revision timetables as I end up spending two hours making it to then never use it, so instead I just make a general note of what I want to have done for the day, e.g. go over Atomic Structure and do some questions, giving yourself a more general goal makes it not seem as long and also it gives you more leeway in what specific bits you revise, which makes everything so much easier.
In terms of a schedule, I mainly revise when I feel like I have the energy for it or if I have a specific deadline coming up (I'm a bit of a crammer).

Also for subjects like bio and chem you can make a revision book of model answers for quite a few questions which again makes life so much easier as you can just rehearse answers. A definitions and formulae book also helped a lot.
ayraell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mckailer)
I don't due revision timetables as I end up spending two hours making it to then never use it, so instead I just make a general note of what I want to have done for the day, e.g. go over Atomic Structure and do some questions, giving yourself a more general goal makes it not seem as long and also it gives you more leeway in what specific bits you revise, which makes everything so much easier.
In terms of a schedule, I mainly revise when I feel like I have the energy for it or if I have a specific deadline coming up (I'm a bit of a crammer).

Also for subjects like bio and chem you can make a revision book of model answers for quite a few questions which again makes life so much easier as you can just rehearse answers. A definitions and formulae book also helped a lot.
Thank you so much, these were really useful tips
marvelm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
use your spec to revise and do questions for every topic as much as you can
Jdjdjdjdjd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My teachers are honestly the sweetest people and have been really understanding with corona, they also take into account homework grades (which are usually Bs) and I think I make myself seem like a pretty hardworking student to them at least, plus it was ABC but my head of hall was nice enough to bump one up
I see, use that as extra motivation to work hard, as obviously getting offers based on those grades is great, but you must then actually achieve them.
Shafxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask the teacher about what you'll be doing in the next lessons and then watch videos and answer questions before you go into the lesson then it'll be easier to fill in gaps as it'll feel more like revision
Foxfeet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oooh okay thank you, how many hours of revision do you suggest a day, and do you usually go over old stuff?

And good luck for history x
Thanks! X
Also I’d say it depends, I have upcoming mocks for biology and aiming about 2/3 hours a day in half term, about half of that revising then the second half completing practice questions. During school, I’d say start off by doing up to an hour of topics you really don’t understand or struggle with, and build it up from there x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (130)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (89)
19.47%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (43)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed