KNW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I've tried to research a bit and from what I can find, I think it's okay but I wanted to check because my dad used to be in the Royal Navy so he's worried about the implications. So I want to be a doctor (hopefully starting university in September 2021) and I'm not certain but I'm seriously considering joining one of the armed forces (not sure which one yet) as a doctor afterwards.

I want to get a tattoo on my forearm (it's not obscene or offensive, basically an anatomical heart in a hand) and think it's allowed when joining but my dad worries that although it's allowed for lower ranks, it might be an issue for promotions to higher ranks or as a 'professional' individual i.e. a doctor. Could this cause any issues in future for me?

If it weren't allowed I'd probably get it on my calf instead if that one would be allowed.

Thanks all
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KNW)
my dad worries that although it's allowed for lower ranks, it might be an issue for promotions to higher ranks or as a 'professional' individual i.e. a doctor. Could this cause any issues in future for me?
In a word; no.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it’s within the rules it’s within the rules, it’s 2020 there’s plenty of people in all three services of all ranks ages races genders with tattoos of all kind.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KNW)
So I've tried to research a bit and from what I can find, I think it's okay but I wanted to check because my dad used to be in the Royal Navy so he's worried about the implications. So I want to be a doctor (hopefully starting university in September 2021) and I'm not certain but I'm seriously considering joining one of the armed forces (not sure which one yet) as a doctor afterwards.

I want to get a tattoo on my forearm (it's not obscene or offensive, basically an anatomical heart in a hand) and think it's allowed when joining but my dad worries that although it's allowed for lower ranks, it might be an issue for promotions to higher ranks or as a 'professional' individual i.e. a doctor. Could this cause any issues in future for me?

If it weren't allowed I'd probably get it on my calf instead if that one would be allowed.

Thanks all
Noting that, as a Dr, you will have your sleeves rolled up most of your working day, so a forearm tattoo will necessarily be visible all the time in your day to day working environment.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having your sleeves rolled up and a forearm tattoo visible as a doctor is no different to any other member of the Forces with a forearm tattoo who wear short sleeves or sleeves folded up. If it meets the rules, it's fine.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Having your sleeves rolled up and a forearm tattoo visible as a doctor is no different to any other member of the Forces with a forearm tattoo who wear short sleeves or sleeves folded up. If it meets the rules, it's fine.
I'm thinking beyond the rules. There are still cultural issues for some people about tattoos, and being a Doctor, a career that might be expected to meet a very wide range of society, it's something that needs to be considered. Especially when the OP seems ambivalent about having the tattoo on a leg. The is life after the Armed Forces, not so much after a tattoo!
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
KNW

You may be interested in this:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...-officer-cadet

I would be inclined to suggest waiting until after you've been through the first stage of your career before you get this tattoo.
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (635)
33.58%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (797)
42.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (374)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed