Anyone else fighting a viscious cycle of trying to catch up with online classes?

Watch
bvllvh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm a 2nd year in uni now and I'm struggling so much to keep up with what the teachers teach. I study civil engineering so I study all day and yet everyday lecturers chuck so much information at us and it seemingly never ends. 1st year was far much better as there wasn't too much asynchronous reading to understand a topic, and they move a lot faster
Popsiclez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Skim through the lectures, note down the topics and use YouTube. I find that YouTube videos manage to explain the topics covered in lectures more thoroughly and more concisely. That I can sometimes skip the subsequent lectures. My tuition fee should really be going to youtube
Last edited by Popsiclez; 6 months ago
Glossed101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Don't just follow the lectures, make sure you read all relevant chapters in the text book and answer its questions. I studied engineering and what really helped was using multiple text books because often they would use different notation. They would also explain concepts a little differently.

It's easy to be overwhelmed by the amount of information in a given lecture. When I started learning about FEA and CFD the lectures were very hard to keep on top of- the math was everywhere and there was constant use of different notation. I would always recommend covering the module or atleast skimming through the module content before class. Its easier to make links.

Think about how you felt about integration and differentiation once you understood it. Although you still come across difficult calculas questions here and there, you probably find it easier to 'keep on top' of the workload since you have built a solid foundation. The same works for new concepts In engineering. You find the workload piling, not because you cannot go through it but rather because you have not built the solid foundational knowledge.

For e.g. I found CFD and FEA mega long and difficult. I reviewed fluid mechanics and structural mechanics and made sure I was secure with those modules before I considered their computational applications..

Advice:
1. Read different textbooks
2. Attempt textbook questions
3. Review content before class
4. Use different platforms like YouTube or even apps

What topics are you currently finding difficult to keep on top of?
Last edited by Glossed101; 6 months ago
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by bvllvh)
I'm a 2nd year in uni now and I'm struggling so much to keep up with what the teachers teach. I study civil engineering so I study all day and yet everyday lecturers chuck so much information at us and it seemingly never ends. 1st year was far much better as there wasn't too much asynchronous reading to understand a topic, and they move a lot faster
Hey bvllvh,

I definitely agree with you that year 2 was a huge jump from year 1 in my degree. If I don't understand something I either do my own research on it or watch an online video that explains it visually to me, if I still don't understand it I contact my lecturer to ask (after all they are there to help us). Taking the main points from the lectures and then going over them and noting down things in the way you understand them helps so when you need to reference back to them you can do easily.

All the best :-)

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads