srb_16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m currently in year 10 doing gcse history. My teacher this year is not very good and I’m finding the subject a bit challenge (especially applying accurate knowledge to exam style questions and the amount of content). At this point, my school will not allow me to switch to geography (which I really enjoyed in year 9 as well). Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
sophssmith_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know if this will help, but if you can, get as many revision guides as you can. "my revision notes" are good ones, and get ones for each topic. If you are unable to get those, any sheet, booklet or anything your teacher gives you - write it up again but research on the internet. Get different sources and watch youtube videos regarding each topic. Make notes as you go; they don't have to be extensive, but just stick some sticky notes on the sheets whenever you find new information. In applying accurate knowledge, just stick to a plan "SEEA" Source, Evidence, Explain, Alternative Evidence (if you can). KAP (Knowledge, Application, Proof). Simple structuring does help. Just don't go overboard and just find any little bits of information you can. Libraries are good too!! I found so much coursework points that came from library books! Sit down with your laptop or find a computer in a library and write down all of the topics you need to know more about and go and read!

I really hope this helps you, I know history can be a struggle but you'll be fine! You've got this, don't doubt yourself - you chose this and you can prove that you can teach yourself! Good Luck!!
TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by srb_16)
Hi, I’m currently in year 10 doing gcse history. My teacher this year is not very good and I’m finding the subject a bit challenge (especially applying accurate knowledge to exam style questions and the amount of content). At this point, my school will not allow me to switch to geography (which I really enjoyed in year 9 as well). Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Hello! So this really depends on what grade you're hoping to achieve in your actual GCSE exams. What it looks like, its that you'll have to sit your GCSE history exam, which might suck a bit if you don't actually enjoy the subject. Personally, I love history (you can probably tell from my username haha) so I'm not sure how helpful my advice may be. Can I ask in which way your teacher is not very good? For example, are they not teaching you all of the content, are they not answering your questions because I suppose at the end of the day, your teacher is qualified to teach history and therefore surely can't be that bad, perhaps you just don't get along?

Let's start with applying accurate knowledge to exam-style questions. I did AQA and even if you're not doing AQA I can't imagine it would be too different with other exam boards. Firstly, we need to clarify what counts as own knowledge (or O.K for short). Your O.K is NOT just dates, its people, locations, dates etc... So these will get you marks. In regards to ACCURATE knowledge, although you may have lots of O.K it's crucial that your knowledge relates ACCURATELY to the question, for example, if you got a question on a history of medicine paper with a picture source, which in the provenance was dated to "1861" the examiners haven't just included this date for NO REASON they've included it because it's IMPORTANT and they want you to refer to it. So you would perhaps write about Louis Pasteur publishing Germ Theory in 1861. I think I've gone off-topic to what you're actually asking though (sorry!) so a tip my teacher gave my class is that if you can't remember the specific date (e.g: 1861 was when Germ Theory was published) you can just put like the 1860s and you'll still get marks for O.K.

If you have anything specific that you're struggling or perhaps can go into more detail about what it is about accurate knowledge that you're struggling with, maybe I can help you more.

Please just ask if I haven't explained something clearly enough or if you have any questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads