Can you do creative writing within an English Literature degree?

Watch
Emsyb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I realise that the majority of the course will focus on analytical and critical study of prose, poetry etc. However, I was just wondering whether creative writing is often a part of it? Can you usually take a course within the degree on creative writing at most unis? Thanks!
JackTed12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Emsyb)
I realise that the majority of the course will focus on analytical and critical study of prose, poetry etc. However, I was just wondering whether creative writing is often a part of it? Can you usually take a course within the degree on creative writing at most unis? Thanks!
Hello,
Yes creative writing can be studies with English Literature. A module itself may be within the course or you may be able to do this module in replace of another.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi Emsyb
Have you considered studying a joint honours degree ? If you are interested in both elements it’s a good way to combine them ! Lancaster university where I study offers joint honour courses and the one you might be interested in can be found here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...-ba-hons-q3w8/
You can also chat to students who do the courses on here or through unibuddy ! You can do this here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Let us know if you have any questions !
Student Lancaster Holly at Lancaster University
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Emsyb)
The short answer is yes, many courses offer a focus on Creative Writing, though it is worth doing your research on the modules to see just how much this is covered. Checking out online open days/virtual tours will be able to give you a good idea of this, especially if you can speak directly to current students and academics.

Our English: Creative and Professional Writing course prepares you to work professionally as a writer in a range of communications industries or as a freelance creative writer, while ensuring you gain a solid foundation in English Language and Literature. In year 1, you'll receive a grounding in Language, Literature and Creative and Professional Writing via core modules. In years 2 and 3 you'll develop your skills, knowledge, and independent learning, with the opportunity to undertake an Advanced Project in the final year.

This course blends the best of a traditional English degree with innovative teaching and exciting connections to the creative industries both regionally and nationally to help budding writers, creatives and creators make your mark. This is not a ‘traditional’ creative writing degree but one that prepares you for writing both creatively and professionally.

Be sure to reach out if you have any questions
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Emsyb)
Hi @Emsyb,

I study English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice at Lancaster University. This is a Joint Honours degree, where I study 50% English Literature and 50% Creative Writing. However, at Lancaster, we also offer a combined degree which is 75% English Literature and 25% Creative Writing, if you would prefer more English.

Within the English Literature course also, there are opportunities to be creative with projects and creative-creative writing. You can find out more about the different modules offered on the 50/50 course here, and the 75/25 course here.

If you've got any questions about studying English Lit and Creative Writing at university, I'd be happy to help!

Maria
2nd year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
ItsAnotherGrad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Emsyb)
Hey,

I studied creative writing and english lit as a joint honour degree at university of Westminster. I know Brunel also offers it, so yeah it's definitely an option!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads