Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is Q
Last edited by ottersandseals1; 1 month ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a "just do it" question - it's hard to give much of a hint.

But for a first step: try to solve (find a matrix that works) for the case where x = (1,0,0,...0); i.e. 1 in the first component, all other components 0.

From there, try to solve for a general x.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ottersandseals1)
Something like this? For the first step?
No. How can this work for an arbitrary vector y? You don't even *mention* y...
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this on the right track?
Well, kind of but not really. Try the same approach, but with the assumption on x that I gave you. Note that at some point you'll need to actually make some conclusions: you want to be able to say "this is what a_{11} should equal, this is what a_{12} should equal, and so on".

Also note that what ever you do has to be valid for \mathbb{R}^n, but you are using 2x2 matrices so what you're writing would only be valid in \mathbb{R}^2.
Last edited by DFranklin; 1 month ago
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Better, but (a) it doesn't actually work due to algebra errors, (b) what happens if you're dividing by zero, and (c) you will at some point need to generalise to R^n.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aw yeah, if i divide by 0 it will be zero. So it doesn't work. I'm not sure where to go from here
If x isn't zero, there will be *some* component that isn't 0.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you give me an idea of how to start it? and then i could try finish it?
If you fix your previous answer, you'll see it crucially depends on a particular component of x not being 0.

You'll then have to work out how if I told you "only the kth component of my vector is non-xero" you could make a similar solution that only divides by x_k.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Getting there: that works if x1 is non-zero. What if x1 is zero but x2 is non-zero? What do you need to change?

Also, don't forget that you are going to need to provide a general solution at some point, so you'll need to think about what you'd do for a general n x n matrix and vector {\bf x} = (x_1, x_2, ..., x_n).
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wouldn't x2 and x3 always be multiplied by 0 so wouldn't make a difference? I'm stuck with how to turn this to a general solution
Think about why your solution only depends on x1?
How would you change it to only depend on x2?

If you really can't work it out, start from a general 3 x 3 matrix A, and assume x = (0, 1, 0), multiply through, and see what you get, and therefore what you'd need to do to force Ax = y.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i would have a non-trivial column 2?
Yes.

So you should now be in a position to write your proof. As a hint, it should probably start with a line something like:

Suppose {\bf x} = {x_1, x_2, ..., x_n}, {\bf y} = {y_1, y_2, ..., y_n} and x is non-zero. Then we can find k such that x_k \neq 0. Then...
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so do i write three matrices with non-trivial solutions in different columns?
See above (I edited while you were replying). But, (and this is something I've said about 4 times now): you can't assume you're dealing with 3x3 matrices, so you will have to word a solution that works for all possible n x n matrices.

It's perfectly fine to say things like "A is the matrix with all columns zero, except..." however.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ive added this. I've still to add the line u mentioned above.
I don't understand what you've written. You seem to be dividing by x1,x2,...xn, so now your solution doesn't just depend on x1 being non-xero, but also x2,x3,... In other words, you've made things worse, not better.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Damn, could you possibly write the solution to the end of it so i can try understand it? It would help immensely
Full solutions aren't allowed here. At the end of the day, I give people hints so they can solve a problem themselves. When it becomes me basically answering the question for them, I think they are better off asking their teacher/lecturer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed