Is getting into oxford summer school a big thing?

Watch
Fareeha18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm an international student and last year i got in oxford summer school but didn't attend it.told my mum about it and she wasn't too appreciative of it.ocassionally i question myself if that was really something to be proud of or something normal for the kids living in England?
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I only know one person who’s been on a summer school, so I wouldn’t say it’s standard to go to one, I was under the impression that they were pretty competitive to get into
Fareeha18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
I think I only know one person who’s been on a summer school, so I wouldn’t say it’s standard to go to one, I was under the impression that they were pretty competitive to get into
what's the whole point of summer schools?what kind of students attend it?the country i live in does not offer summer programs and since it' third world country international unis are considered one of the bests.I was over the moon when i got to know that i got in oxford summer school since i've been dreaming of getting into harvard or any international uni in general so felt like maybe this brought me 1 step closer to my dream.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fareeha18)
what's the whole point of summer schools?what kind of students attend it?the country i live in does not offer summer programs and since it' third world country international unis are considered one of the bests.I was over the moon when i got to know that i got in oxford summer school since i've been dreaming of getting into harvard or any international uni in general so felt like maybe this brought me 1 step closer to my dream.
I think they’re to give you an idea of what doing your subject at university will be like and to promote that university that you went to, they also probably look quite good on applications
Usually it’s the more academic students wanting to go to a top university, but also for widening participation for those from disadvantaged backgrounds (low family income, been in foster care, students of minority ethnicities etc.)
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends. There are the stupidly expensive ones you pay for from some company that happens to be in Oxford - that is not an achievement. There are others that basically aim to give people a taste of Oxford, focusing on widening participation - they can be competitive and getting in is great.

Either way though - these are things that are not open to everyone and it would be unlikely to form a big part of any uni applications process. Maybe the US as they're nuts, but nowhere sensible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads