The Student Room Group

Niqab at Uni

Hi guys!

I've recently decided to wear the niqab for religious reasons. Due to this, I've currently put my plans on pursuing medicine on hold (since the NHS prohibits healthcare workers from covering their faces). For this reason, I'm considering studying biomedical sciences instead!
As someone who'd like to live at home, I'm looking into applying to universities like King's, UCL, St Georges, etc.
However, I'm not entirely sure whether or not these universities allow students to cover their faces for religious reasons.

Does anyone know of any niqabi at a university in London that could help? Especially if they're pursuing a science like Biomed?

Thank you guys so much!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epicswagwoman
Hi guys!

I've recently decided to wear the niqab for religious reasons. Due to this, I've currently put my plans on pursuing medicine on hold (since the NHS prohibits healthcare workers from covering their faces). For this reason, I'm considering studying biomedical sciences instead!
As someone who'd like to live at home, I'm looking into applying to universities like King's, UCL, St Georges, etc.
However, I'm not entirely sure whether or not these universities allow students to cover their faces for religious reasons.

Does anyone know of any niqabi at a university in London that could help? Especially if they're pursuing a science like Biomed?

Thank you guys so much!

Best way to find out is to call each university and enquire about dress code on the course

As far as I'm aware in general they don't mind until you're in a laboratory
mashaalh let me just appreciate the fact that you are considering letting go of something you wanna do for the sake of Allah. i am sure you will be happy and content as allah will be happy with you
and secondly email or phone them
you can also see if you find anyone on Instagram who is a niqabi student at uni
Original post by samantha joseph
mashaalh let me just appreciate the fact that you are considering letting go of something you wanna do for the sake of Allah.

It's daft to give-up on what you want for a claimed god, for which there is NO credible evidence.
I've recently decided to wear the niqab for religious reasons.

Please think about that some more. There is no credible evidence for any religion, so "religious reasons" are the worst possible ones - you may as well say that it's because you want to.

Due to this, I've currently put my plans on pursuing medicine on hold (since the NHS prohibits healthcare workers from covering their faces).

That's a crying shame. You could make a big, positive impact on people's lives.

For this reason, I'm considering studying biomedical sciences instead!

Contact both the Islamic societies and relevant departments at your target universities.

I would hope that they're not illogical enough to override real concerns (e.g. safety) for "religious reasons".
Surely in a lab you wouldn't be able to wear a niqab because it would be considered a massive health and safety risk. Outside of the lab I'm sure it'd be fine because universities don't ban niqabs on the whole.
Contact the university to find out.
Ring up the universities to find out if they allow face coverings as such, tbh with Covid it is not much different from other masks, depending on how you wear it.
Yes but by the end of her 3/4 year degree I imagine that the universities' stance on masks might have changed.
Original post by chloenix
Yes but by the end of her 3/4 year degree I imagine that the universities' stance on masks might have changed.

Yes which is why I said to ring them.
Hi guys!

Thank you guys so much!

May Allah reward you and keep you firm on following the sunnah, allah ybarek feeki. I'm pretty sure universities can't have any say on what religious clothing you choose to wear, isocs are big and I've seen muslim girls wearing the niqab. Don't worry about a universities opinion on your attire, although in some subjects (like medicine) it's pretty hard to wear niqab not because of the university's personal opinion but because of what the profession entails. From what I know, Biomed doesn't entail anything that necessitates the removal of face covering but have a chat with some students who have studied Biomed at the universities you like - instagram societies might be a good start, or emailing the isoc.
Original post by Quantumslider
As a Muslim, may I advise you sister to read more about your religion as the niqab is not prescribed in the Quran nor the Hadith. The niqab is purely cultural and is used by extreme sects in both Islam and Judaism. I think Allah would be best pleased with you if you were a doctor, who helps others, than a person who wears a niqab. Allah knows best!

This is false. 2 of the Four major schools of thought consider is to be obligatory and the other 2 consider it a strong sunnah and obligatory in some cases.
Original post by TheProphetsPath
May Allah reward you and keep you firm on following the sunnah, allah ybarek feeki. I'm pretty sure universities can't have any say on what religious clothing you choose to wear, isocs are big and I've seen muslim girls wearing the niqab. Don't worry about a universities opinion on your attire, although in some subjects (like medicine) it's pretty hard to wear niqab not because of the university's personal opinion but because of what the profession entails. From what I know, Biomed doesn't entail anything that necessitates the removal of face covering but have a chat with some students who have studied Biomed at the universities you like - instagram societies might be a good start, or emailing the isoc.

This is false. 2 of the Four major schools of thought consider is to be obligatory and the other 2 consider it a strong sunnah and obligatory in some cases.

Universities do have a say if it's considered a health and safety violation.
Universities do have a say if it's considered a health and safety violation.

Yes of course, because covering your face with cloth is definitely a healthy and safety violation. Instead, the necessary much safer option of a face-mask should be worn. How could I be so silly?
Yes of course, because covering your face with cloth is definitely a healthy and safety violation. Instead, the necessary much safer option of a face-mask should be worn. How could I be so silly?

I assume you're being sarcastic.
But, I don't make the rules, I'm just saying that in most schools/universities niqabs are not permitted in science labs. Face masks would be allowed of course.
I assume you're being sarcastic.
But, I don't make the rules, I'm just saying that in most schools/universities niqabs are not permitted in science labs. Face masks would be allowed of course.

Of course chloenix, my point was it’s ridiculous for niqabs to be disallowed while at the same time face-masks are mandatory.
Of course chloenix, my point was it’s ridiculous for niqabs to be disallowed while at the same time face-masks are mandatory.

I don't make the rules and I'm not a scientist by any means so I'm definitely not educated enough to speak on this topic.
I imagine there is some sort of technical reason behind it though. If you want to find out I'd encourage you to contact the universities directly and enquire for their reasoning behind the rule.
Right now the whole world has to cover their face. So I dont see why it should be a problem. Covering your face protects you and people around you. Mask or material.Go for it and go for your passion! If its medicine then go for it!
Original post by RogerOxon
It's daft to give-up on what you want for a claimed god, for which there is NO credible evidence.

You'll see enough proof when you die, mate. Enjoy this temporary life for as long as you can. Every soul shall taste death.
Original post by Quantumslider
As a Muslim, may I advise you sister to read more about your religion as the niqab is not prescribed in the Quran nor the Hadith. The niqab is purely cultural and is used by extreme sects in both Islam and Judaism. I think Allah would be best pleased with you if you were a doctor, who helps others, than a person who wears a niqab. Allah knows best!

What a thoroughly sensible answer

A face mask is secure on your face. A niqab isn't as secure as a face mask

Spoiler

Original post by hasnat614
You'll see enough proof when you die, mate.

This isn't a debate forum. Suffice to say that I don't believe you.
Original post by hasnat614
Enjoy this temporary life for as long as you can.

That's my plan, without pointless, superstitious rituals to get in the way.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest