Russel group programs similar to Access to Leeds

Watch
qwerty3431
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello, I am applying to university this year and I wanted to know which Russel group universities have programs similar to the Access to Leeds program, where if you are the first generation going to uni, or depending on your background you can get in with lower grades. I am also applying to the University of Nottingham and Sheffield, but I didn't find anything about similar programs.
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by qwerty3431)
Hello, I am applying to university this year and I wanted to know which Russel group universities have programs similar to the Access to Leeds program, where if you are the first generation going to uni, or depending on your background you can get in with lower grades. I am also applying to the University of Nottingham and Sheffield, but I didn't find anything about similar programs.
What you're probably looking for is "contextual offers" - whether you fit the criteria will vary from uni to uni, but if you search "____ uni contextual offers" you should get results giving you more information. I don't think many unis tend to have first gen as one of the criterium, but a lot will have options dependant on where you live, so have a search around and see if you qualify for any of them.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most 'special entry' schemes (where you do a program of study/participation at that Uni nad qualify for an offer etc) are for local students only. And many have already closed for this year.
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi qwerty3431,

At The University of Sheffield we offer a very similar scheme called Access Sheffield. Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to give your application additional consideration when we receive it and when exam results are released. If we offer you a place, we may also be able to make you an alternative offer lower than our standard entry requirements for your course.

Whilst we may do this automatically based on information in your UCAS application, for some of the criteria you will need to provide this information to us separately. I recommend you read our web pages carefully, as eligibility criteria can vary between universities. If you have any further questions about your eligibility after reading our webpages, I'd recommend emailing us ([email protected]).

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with - doesn't just have to be about applications!

-Ben
BSc Molecular Biology (2016-19)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2019-20)
qwerty3431
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni)
Hi qwerty3431,

At The University of Sheffield we offer a very similar scheme called Access Sheffield. Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to give your application additional consideration when we receive it and when exam results are released. If we offer you a place, we may also be able to make you an alternative offer lower than our standard entry requirements for your course.

Whilst we may do this automatically based on information in your UCAS application, for some of the criteria you will need to provide this information to us separately. I recommend you read our web pages carefully, as eligibility criteria can vary between universities. If you have any further questions about your eligibility after reading our webpages, I'd recommend emailing us ([email protected]).

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with - doesn't just have to be about applications!

-Ben
Hello, I just wanted to ask something about how universities are going to be looking at offers. My grades are good enough to get into the University of Sheffield and I am thinking about making it my firm or insurance choice. But I decided to resit my Computer Science and Portuguese just to see how it would go because I could only apply for September 2021 either way. The problem is that my computer science exam didn't go so well, so I think I might get a lower grade. Could the University of Sheffield reject me because I got a lower grade in this resit? Thank you
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi qwerty3431,

I'm sorry to hear you found your computer science exam difficult, that must be really frustrating. At Sheffield, our admissions team will consider each application on an individual basis and take into account your personal circumstances (including disrupted studies).

Because your question is quite specific and personal, I would ask that you please send our Access Sheffield team an email at [email protected] containing all the information you have posted here on TSR. That way, our expert team can advise you further on next steps.

You haven't mentioned which course you are interested in studying, but I would say that policies regarding resits will vary between academic departments and degree programmes. If you have a search through our 2021 Online Prospectus, each individual course page has contact details for specific subject enquiries.

If you need any help finding contact details or information on a specific course you'd like to study, just let me know (you can also send this account a private message if you'd prefer).

- Ben
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads