Advice on dropping out of Uni

Watch
Scarlettseaman1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help/advice for the current situation I'm in. I'll try and set the scene.

I moved into Uni in Bristol on the 12th, just over a week ago.
The first week was great, I love all my flatmates they're all really good people.
Before moving in I already had hesitations about moving into Uni due to Coronavirus and how it was going to affect the way I study etc ...

The online lectures I did before moving up were completely unmotivating, boring and just overall tedious.
After the first 3, I just found myself walking away from my laptop as I just felt like it was all a waste of time.
This coupled with the fact I just had my first face to face seminars today. The seminars were completely useless, boring, tedious, just exactly like what is was online, it made absolutely no difference that I was there in person. This is especially hard for me as I lack the motivation to work independently, and originally when I applied, I was promised a lot of contact hours on the course, which I why I chose it.

My mood hasn't exactly been great either, this whole situation has completely got on top of me and I feel like my mental health is deteriorating. Coupled with the fact my partner just split up with me as she needs time and space to sort her own head out.

Now, before I make any rash decisions that I can't turn back on. I've already told myself I have to at least give it this week and next week before I even start to enquire about dropping out. Between then I'll have another 9 hours of seminars, and I'm just praying they change my mind.

TIA x
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Working independently is something you will have to learn to do to get through uni - no way around it. Personal life aside, it sounds like you are having an adjustment reaction to the different learning style and no longer being spoon fed like you were at school. Give it time.
Scarlettseaman1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
Working independently is something you will have to learn to do to get through uni - no way around it. Personal life aside, it sounds like you are having an adjustment reaction to the different learning style and no longer being spoon fed like you were at school. Give it time.
Yeah, I'm going to give it a couple weeks to see how I adjust. It's just pretty tricky right now and it's throwing me completely off.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scarlettseaman1)
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help/advice for the current situation I'm in. I'll try and set the scene.

The first week was great, I love all my flatmates they're all really good people.
Before moving in I already had hesitations about moving into Uni due to Coronavirus and how it was going to affect the way I study etc ...

The online lectures I did before moving up were completely unmotivating, boring and just overall tedious.
After the first 3, I just found myself walking away from my laptop as I just felt like it was all a waste of time.
This coupled with the fact I just had my first face to face seminars today. The seminars were completely useless, boring, tedious, just exactly like what is was online, it made absolutely no difference that I was there in person. This is especially hard for me as I lack the motivation to work independently, and originally when I applied, I was promised a lot of contact hours on the course, which I why I chose it.

My mood hasn't exactly been great either, this whole situation has completely got on top of me and I feel like my mental health is deteriorating. Coupled with the fact my partner just split up with me as she needs time and space to sort her own head out.

Now, before I make any rash decisions that I can't turn back on. I've already told myself I have to at least give it this week and next week before I even start to enquire about dropping out. Between then I'll have another 9 hours of seminars, and I'm just praying they change my mind.

TIA x
You dont seem very well disposed or suited. Independent learning is a significant part of any degree.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/students/su...vice/withdraw/
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/students/s...ce/suspending/
If its not for you then leave sooner rather than later i.e by Friday.
angelofessence
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi all,

TIA x
First of all, this is just the adjustment of a new experience (albeit very different now because of this covid nonsense) and will always be difficult for anybody, whether it be uni, a new job, moving house etc. Anyhow, unfortunately it doesn't matter what course you do or at which uni or what job you get in any sector in any country but self-motivation and independent working are both crucial in order to even survive. Yes independent learning can be a struggle but remember people are there to help you throughout, whether it be your course tutors or even your friends. Adapting to independent learning and working takes a lot of time and doesn't just happen at the click of a button. Take your time with it, be patient and don't let anyone push you over your limits.

I'm really sorry to hear about your partner and your personal situation, try to get as much support from friends and family where possible! It will all work out, just remember each day is never the same and situations will always change!

I actually dropped out some years ago in my first year at another uni, but now I am in my third year at a uni I love doing a subject I love. Yeah sure I had the same shock of independent learning but I took my time with it and ensured I wasn't afraid to ask for help where needed. First lecture I went to I thought "yeah no, I want to drop out!! THIS IS BEYOND ME!!" But I gave it time and I eventually adjusted and came to love the subjects and discussions.

Now about your online lectures/seminars. Your not the only one. I also find them very disengaging as I'm sure thousands of other students do. Not much can really be done in the grand scheme of things, however interactive seminars yes. Something can be done. Inform your tutor you are not finding the seminars engaging enough and that the content is not structured well or for whatever reason (I did this recently and the co-ordinator has since greatly improved the seminar). Just take it one step at a time and remember you are there to learn, not to be expected to know everything!

I wish you all the best OP!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi all,

TIA x
Hi!

University is mainly about independent study, that's never fun... However, saying that, this year is completely different! I struggle as I hate online learning.

I would suggest to give it a few more weeks so that you are 100% sure. Get a meeting with your tutor or someone who can discuss this with you - that might be useful.

University work is not fun, so most times you will find it boring - but I understand that you're talking about Covid making the learning harder...

You do you, if you don't like it there is no point of forcing yourself to stay and waste 3/4 years of your life - that would be exhausting and you would regret it!

Maybe you just need to get used to it! I think all students thought at least once about dropping out when it gets to this stage.

I wish you all the best, and to figure out what you want to do.

Marlena - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (71)
27.41%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.73%

Watched Threads