Anyone a Paramedic with bad eyes?

Watch
Tasty_Masala_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone! Has anyone had trouble with their eyesight but still managed to obtain a C1 license to drive an ambulance?
My left eye is pretty rubbish and doesn't meet the requirements on the Snellen scale - it just falls short of meeting the standards. My Optometrist told me he would be willing to write a letter to the DVLA explaining that my eyesight wouldn't hinder my ability to drive an ambulance. Has anyone had similar issues or had any experiences where the DVLA have made exceptions? Many thanks
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have a lazy eye but it function pretty well but not enough to meet the C1 requirements you could try and improve your vision with a program called Neuro-Vision, it is the only FDA approved method improving lazy eye in adults. I've seen pretty amazing results with it.

As for eyesight itself, the most important is not the driving but the ability to work at arm's length distance. You can't be a paramedic if you can't see where you stick the needle. For me it was the most difficult thing until I was fitted with proper glasses. They don't check how well you opperate in arm's distance but in day-to-day job it is more important... although I know that as a trainee you mostly do the driving.
(I was a medic in the IDF and still do some volunteering in the local ambulance team).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (630)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (787)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (371)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.49%

Watched Threads