Erikakhanx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey could anyone help me with how to start my introduction for my personal statement for law as Ik what to write but i don’t know how to start it off.
If anyone could help or give ideas it would be great
KNW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I havent applied for Law, but a good idea that helped me was to skip the introduction initially- just write your education, additional experience, reasons for law, etc paragraphs now and then come back to the introduction when you actually know what youre introducing
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a brief plan

Paragraph One- Focus on education
Paragraph Two- Write about additional experience
Paragraph Three- Talk about the reasons why you want to study law at university
Paragraph Four- Reference list of books

Then do a mini introduction.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Check out this guidance https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...tement_for_Law
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're just meaning your opening line then I wouldn't be afraid to jump straight into it. I remember I didn't want my opening to be too blunt, but after I looked at some examples I realised that the character limit really means you have to be economical. I'd recommend having a search for some law-specific statements so that you can see what I mean.

Avoid cliches such as "ever since I was young/since I can remember..." because they see it all the time, and they honestly don't care when your interest began as long as you can show that it's genuine. Just write down your thoughts, and you can edit them later; I actually got rid of my opening line after my first draft, so the second sentence became the opening. Don't think of it as a linear process in which you write one paragraph then move onto the next and then the next, because it's really something that I think evolves naturally when you're going back over it. You might decide that something at the start of your paragraph actually makes more sense at the end or in a separate point, or that something in the middle works better at the start. Essentially my point is that it's easier (in my opinion) to write out all of your thoughts and then polish them later, so your original opening may not be what you end up with. Weirdly, you shouldn't worry about how to start it until you've finished it.

I can try to clarify any of this if it doesn't make sense, but I think the process of writing a PS for me was pretty fluid, and unlike most other things I've ever written, so the advice is a little "out there".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (545)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (664)
41.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.54%

Watched Threads