How can companies spot fake emails addresses?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A friend works with a promotional company which requires her to basically get as many people as she can to sign up on a website. I have told her to just make a bunch of fake emails lol, but she told me that they monitor every signup closely. Just wondering what the technicalities are behind this, and how fake signups can actually be detected?
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And this is what you'd view as "everyday issues"?
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The technicalities are that "it's complicated". So I'm just going to use the website signup as an example.

The absolute simplest way to detect this is to see where the traffic is coming from. Let's just say your friend creates 10 emails. She signs up to the website with all 10 emails. Nothing about that is immediately suspicious. However all the sign up traffic is going to be coming from one IP address. Is it likely there are 10 people living in the same household who all just suddenly decided to sign up to this website? Probably not. And of course when you realise the traffic is also coming from someone that works for you, it becomes blatantly obvious they just created a bunch of accounts.

That's not the "be all and end all" of the issue. But it's the most basic explanation of what could be happening. Ultimately only the organisation can outright tell you what they do, and that's not information they're going to release.
bamtutor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
and if she is being paid to get sign ups and creates false ones then she is committing fraud (OBTAINING PECUNIARY ADVANTAGE BY DECEPTION) and will be sacked.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, the short answer is they're not stupid and they are unlikely to tell you how exactly they check.
Bbles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AcseI)
The technicalities are that "it's complicated". So I'm just going to use the website signup as an example.

The absolute simplest way to detect this is to see where the traffic is coming from. Let's just say your friend creates 10 emails. She signs up to the website with all 10 emails. Nothing about that is immediately suspicious. However all the sign up traffic is going to be coming from one IP address. Is it likely there are 10 people living in the same household who all just suddenly decided to sign up to this website? Probably not. And of course when you realise the traffic is also coming from someone that works for you, it becomes blatantly obvious they just created a bunch of accounts.

That's not the "be all and end all" of the issue. But it's the most basic explanation of what could be happening. Ultimately only the organisation can outright tell you what they do, and that's not information they're going to release.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you
Last edited by Bbles; 1 month ago
Bbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bamtutor)
and if she is being paid to get sign ups and creates false ones then she is committing fraud (OBTAINING PECUNIARY ADVANTAGE BY DECEPTION) and will be sacked.
We are aware lol!
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They will also monitor bounces - if every sign up she claims then bounces on first contact then that would be a clue.
Bbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
They will also monitor bounces - if every sign up she claims then bounces on first contact then that would be a clue.
Sorry I’m kind of thick with this stuff, what does it mean if it bounces?
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It means that the email couldn't get through - maybe because the user's inbox is full but usually because it is invalid. Often this is because of a typo in the signup but a made up email address would have the same effect.
When a company sends out a campaign via email they will get various statistics back about the campaign - Sends, Opens, Clicks, Unsubscribes, Bounces.
username5383500
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
It means that the email couldn't get through - maybe because the user's inbox is full but usually because it is invalid. Often this is because of a typo in the signup but a made up email address would have the same effect.
When a company sends out a campaign via email they will get various statistics back about the campaign - Sends, Opens, Clicks, Unsubscribes, Bounces.
Obviously this assumes that "fake" in this context means the user entered gibberish, so the email address is invalid. For OPs clarification, this wouldn't happen if they actually created the email account, since the traffic would go to the mailbox.

It does highlight another sign though: poor conversion rate. If one of your promoters signs up a bunch of fake email accounts, then even if the traffic is delivered nobody is going to interact with it. And that's going to look awfully suspicious. Best case scenario it looks like you're bad at your job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (895)
42.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed