Guest lecture - Black representation and history in schools

Watch
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

Kemoy Walker, Teacher and contributor to the Spiela community discusses his experience of being a black secondary school teacher and Head of Year, the importance of diverse role models and a representative curriculum.

For this year's Black History Month, we're sharing perspectives and resources to help create positive change on TSR, and hopefully in the wider world.

What's your experience been of diverse role models in your school?

Does your school embed things like black history in your curriculum?

Spiela's mission is to engage those from under represented backgrounds and ensure that they have a safe and supportive space in which to engage and network with others.

Moderation note: All Black History Month threads are monitored by our moderation team. Please remember to keep all posts within community guidelines. Racism will not be tolerated. If you see anything you think might break the rules, please report it. If someone you suspect is a troll engages in the thread, do not reply (even to call them a troll), just report. This thread is for positive conversation and learning. You can learn more about Black History Month here.
Last edited by BlinkyBill; 4 weeks ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is brilliant, posting to subscribe
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
This is brilliant, posting to subscribe
I agree. I think it's really cool to hear him reflect on the importance of kids having role models who reflect them. I'd be interested to hear how common this is, as he said there weren't any black middle leader before he became one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (477)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (588)
41.32%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (293)
20.59%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (65)
4.57%

Watched Threads