username5396224
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey i was wondering so enzymes break up substrate moleclules into smaller molecules so how exactly does this speed up the reaction (i searched it up and it says it lowers activation energy required) but how and why?I am newly learning this so if you write using simpler terminology it would be helpful.
emma963
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
When the substrate enters the active site of the enzyme a strain is put on the substrate bond which means that the bonds holding the substrate together are broken more easily.
username5396224
Rep:
?
so does this mean the substrate molcules can take part in reactions more easily??because aren't they broken up already
emma963
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by dog25)
so does this mean the substrate molcules can take part in reactions more easily??because aren't they broken up already
The breakdown (or build-up) of substrates is the reaction.
Take digestion, for example, the enzymes break down the large molecules (eg proteins) into smaller more digestible molecules (eg amino acids).
Without the enzyme, the reactions to break down these molecules would be too slow to maintain life.
The substrate which are being broken down are larger so will be broken down into much smaller components.
username5396224
Rep:
?
ohhhhhh so enzymes break down the substrates effectively so it basically makes the molecules smaller ?but sorry if the substrate molecules are smaller why does it mean the molecules can take part in reactions faster
emma963
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Some of the substrate can be quite large such as a protein which have to be broken down further. (Eg lipids broken down to glycogen and fatty acids)

The main aim of an enzyme is to break any bonds between the building blocks of a substrate into the smallest component it could be.
The smaller substrate can be absorbed by the body and then used in other reactions (break down of starch/glycogen produces glucose which is used in respiration.)

The breaking down of the substrate is the reaction (breaking down is hydrolysis) (eg ATP hydrase breaking a bond to release energy)

Enzymes are biological catalyst- they increase the rate of reaction without being used up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads