Audi for my first car

Watch
Reianah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m turning 20 July next year and I would like to buy myself my first car I have saved about 7k and my Dad said he will give me about 5-6k for my first car. Also Insurance I would probably go under my dads and he would pay half of it until the price drops down. I would like an Audi a1 or a3 but do you think I should go for a cheaper car.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reianah)
So I’m turning 20 July next year and I would like to buy myself my first car I have saved about 7k and my Dad said he will give me about 5-6k for my first car. Also Insurance I would probably go under my dads and he would pay half of it until the price drops down. I would like an Audi a1 or a3 but do you think I should go for a cheaper car.
You can't "go onto your dad's" insurance. It doesn't work like that.
Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you have the money why not. treat yourself
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll find very few people who would recommend spending £12-13k on your first car before insurance, even if you have the money in your pocket. You'd be much better off researching a runaround that's cheap to insure, and saving the most you can bear for a house deposit.

Not a sexy option but you'll be loads better off in 5-10 years compared to people who wanted a cool first car and threw money down the drain for the sake of 4000-5000 miles a year.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reianah)
Just because you can, doesn't mean it is the most wisest decision.

The fact you have had to save the £7K implies to me that getting a couple grand is not a trivial amount of money to you.

Why not spend £3-4K on something cheaper, & open a LISA and put the rest their. Its your choice, just what I would do...
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm thinking of getting an A3 for my second car but for a first is a little much lol but if you have the money go for it, i much prefer the A3 over the A1,
roo02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
You can't "go onto your dad's" insurance. It doesn't work like that.
I'm guessing he means as a named driver
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by roo02)
I'm guessing he means as a named driver
Which doesn't work in this instance.
roo02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which doesn't work in this instance
wouldn't it? Dad phones up to add son as named driver, they say 'yes but we'll increase your policy by x amount'; son pays the extra cost
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by roo02)
wouldn't it? Dad phones up to add son as named driver, they say 'yes but we'll increase your policy by x amount'; son pays the extra cost
You're missing the obvious - the father isn't already insured on the car given it's.. not his..?
roo02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're missing the obvious - the father isn't already insured on the car given it's.. not his..?
oh **** of course hahaha

Yeah sorry you're right that makes no sense
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd pick the A3. I like it's design and that's the car I want personally until I'm financially stable without my parents
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have an A1 as my first car but that's only because my Nan had saved up money for me since I was a baby. I also managed to get a good deal on it, and I'm 27 with a years no claim discount so my insurance won't be as much compared with a 20 year old. Otherwise I'd definitely be driving something a lot cheaper.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads