Asking about how to improve chances to get into cardiothoracic surgery training

Watch
loloslayer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Have some previous experience in cardiac surgery in my home country. Cleared MRCS. Aiming to apply for ST1 in cardiothoracic surgery in the UK. Seeking your advice regarding what jobs I can apply for in order to improve my CV (teaching, leadership, research, ...) without increasing my surgical experience so I can still be able to apply for ST1.I am not familiar with the jobs here. Any advice is appreciated! Image
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by loloslayer)
Have some previous experience in cardiac surgery in my home country. Cleared MRCS. Aiming to apply for ST1 in cardiothoracic surgery in the UK. Seeking your advice regarding what jobs I can apply for in order to improve my CV (teaching, leadership, research, ...) without increasing my surgical experience so I can still be able to apply for ST1.I am not familiar with the jobs here. Any advice is appreciated! Image
Virtually the same as https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6753682

You'll need a lot of CT-surgery related publications / presentations / audits etc. just to stand a chance.

If not, be prepared to work a year (or many!) as a locum in CT-surgery to improve your CV and make contacts with CT-surgeons.

Just FYI, in 2019 the competition for CT-surgery at ST1 was 8.42, 101 applicants for 12 posts. It's even more competitive than neurosurgery ST1.
loloslayer
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Virtually the same as https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6753682

You'll need a lot of CT-surgery related publications / presentations / audits etc. just to stand a chance.

If not, be prepared to work a year (or many!) as a locum in CT-surgery to improve your CV and make contacts with CT-surgeons.

Just FYI, in 2019 the competition for CT-surgery at ST1 was 8.42, 101 applicants for 12 posts. It's even more competitive than neurosurgery ST1.
I am aware of that, thank you. The problem is that I already have some experience in cardiothoracic from my home country which is about 17 months, so I am really worried about which jobs in the UK I can apply for to improve my chances without increasing the period. I am trying to stay able to apply for ST1 not ST3. Aren't locums considered as CTS experience?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am aware of that, thank you. The problem is that I already have some experience in cardiothoracic from my home country which is about 17 months, so I am really worried about which jobs in the UK I can apply for to improve my chances without increasing the period. I am trying to stay able to apply for ST1 not ST3. Aren't locums considered as CTS experience?
Experience does not mean (by itself) application points. In fact some posts will decline people who already worked for some time in a specialty.

CT-related publications, presentations, audits etc. will make you more competitive. Have you done any of those?

Have you read the neurosurgery thread?

There are no specific training jobs in the UK. You'll apply nationally via recruitment system and allocated to a location depending on your score.

Also, getting into core surgical training and then applying to CT-surgery in ST3 makes it very very slightly less competitive (excluding the competition to get into CST, CTS ST3 has 35 applicants for 7 posts = 5:1 competition ratio).
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
loloslayer
Rep:
?
Experience does not mean (by itself) application points. In fact some posts will decline people who already worked for some time in a specialty.

CT-related publications, presentations, audits etc. will make you more competitive. Have you done any of those?

Have you read the neurosurgery thread?

There are no specific training jobs in the UK. You'll apply nationally via recruitment system and allocated to a location depending on your score.

Also, getting into core surgical training and then applying to CT-surgery in ST3 makes it very very slightly less competitive (excluding the competition to get into CST, CTS ST3 has 35 applicants for 7 posts = 5:1 competition ratio).
Yes, I have done some of publications but I don't think they can be compared with someone who graduated from the UK.

I have read the neurosurgery thread and I am familiar with the process. When you apply for ST1 you should have less than 18 months of previous surgical experience and I already have 17 months from my home country. That is why I am trying to figure out what I should do to improve my CV without exceeding the 18 months.

I am willing to do an extra one or 2 years for that. The problem is I am not sure where to start.

I really appreciate your help!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...I am willing to do an extra one or 2 years for that. The problem is I am not sure where to start....
Start by having a look at the CT surgery application website and their person specification.

Look at the "Desirable" column and try and tick as many boxes as possible - winning prizes, teaching, leadership etc. etc.

If you feel you're ready, you can always apply. The only thing you'll lose is time and you have everything to gain if you get the job. If not, ask for feedback and then look for locum "SHO in Cardiothoracic Surgery" posts.
loloslayer
Rep:
?
Start by having a look at the CT surgery application website and their person specification.

Look at the "Desirable" column and try and tick as many boxes as possible - winning prizes, teaching, leadership etc. etc.

If you feel you're ready, you can always apply. The only thing you'll lose is time and you have everything to gain if you get the job. If not, ask for feedback and then look for locum "SHO in Cardiothoracic Surgery" posts.
Thank you very much. I am also familiar with the shortlisting criteria. But I don't know which kind of jobs can help me tick those boxes.

Won't the "SHO in Cardiothoracic Surgery" posts be counted? I will have to apply for ST3 in that case!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you very much. I am also familiar with the shortlisting criteria. But I don't know which kind of jobs can help me tick those boxes.

Won't the "SHO in Cardiothoracic Surgery" posts be counted? I will have to apply for ST3 in that case!
Oh you're right it will count.

Why not locum in A&E or something (make sure it's a hospital with CT surgery!) and see if you can liaise with the surgeons there.

But it sounds to me like you're well equipped and is better placed than the person who asked at the neurosurgery ST1 thread. So why not just apply in December and see if you get in? Who knows - you may?
loloslayer
Rep:
?
Oh you're right it will count.

Why not locum in A&E or something (make sure it's a hospital with CT surgery!) and see if you can liaise with the surgeons there.

But it sounds to me like you're well equipped and is better placed than the person who asked at the neurosurgery ST1 thread. So why not just apply in December and see if you get in? Who knows - you may?
Well, I was hoping so!

I have a few publications, done two small audit projects in our hospital previously, gave some ideas to change some little things despite the difficult circumstances we had, done a masterclass in thoracic surgery in another country, done many online courses and conferences, gave some local presentations and gave an online presentation last week with UCL Women in Surgery, and was travel awarded to the AATS in Toronto, Canada last year.

I am not really sure where I stand between UK candidates! The problem is with my immigration status at the moment! I don't have a work permit due to delays with the HO due to covid, but I should have the work permit before the start of the job next year. So I was hoping I could apply but I guess I cannot!

ANy enlightenment regarding my portfolio so far? If I got my work permit next year, I'll have to apply for some jobs and was hoping to apply for the right jobs that will help me enhance my chances in applying for ST1.

Thank you.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, I was hoping so!

I have a few publications, done two small audit projects in our hospital previously, gave some ideas to change some little things despite the difficult circumstances we had, done a masterclass in thoracic surgery in another country, done many online courses and conferences, gave some local presentations and gave an online presentation last week with UCL Women in Surgery, and was travel awarded to the AATS in Toronto, Canada last year.

I am not really sure where I stand between UK candidates! The problem is with my immigration status at the moment! I don't have a work permit due to delays with the HO due to covid, but I should have the work permit before the start of the job next year. So I was hoping I could apply but I guess I cannot!

ANy enlightenment regarding my portfolio so far? If I got my work permit next year, I'll have to apply for some jobs and was hoping to apply for the right jobs that will help me enhance my chances in applying for ST1.

Thank you.
I would think A&E will be useful, as well as potentially quite lucrative (you'll probably earn more than being a CT-surgery SHO anyway). It's related to the surgical specialty without being directly surgical.

Find a hospital with a CT-surgery department and look for A&E jobs there, make some friends with the friendly (?) CT surgeons and ask them to evaluate your profile.

Your background is good, but I don't know the competition you'll be up against. There will be people with MScs and PhDs who you'll be competiting with. It's not going to be easy!
loloslayer
Rep:
?
I know and I will work on it! That, I was going to ask about! Any advice about MScs I can do that will be related to CTS?

Will MScs in cardiovascular science be counted, or is it more related to cardiology rather than CTS? cuz they say in the shortlisting criteria "Higher degree, MD, PhD with clear relevance to a career in Cardiothoracic Surgery", so what MScs are considered of clear relevance?

Do you know if research fellow posts / teaching fellow posts would be counted among the 18 months?
Last edited by loloslayer; 1 month ago
realtimme
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I have done some of publications but I don't think they can be compared with someone who graduated from the UK.

I have read the neurosurgery thread and I am familiar with the process. When you apply for ST1 you should have less than 18 months of previous surgical experience and I already have 17 months from my home country. That is why I am trying to figure out what I should do to improve my CV without exceeding the 18 months.

I am willing to do an extra one or 2 years for that. The problem is I am not sure where to start.

I really appreciate your help!
I've also been wondering about the whole time already worked in surgery before applying to a training scheme thing. for CST also it states that you cannot have over 12 months surgical experience post foundation programme which just sounds bizzare to me as surely someone who has already been working in a sho position for a year or two would make a better trainee than someone straight out of foundation programme with no surgical jobs under their belt at all (which is theoretically possible).
loloslayer
Rep:
?
(Original post by realtimme)
I've also been wondering about the whole time already worked in surgery before applying to a training scheme thing. for CST also it states that you cannot have over 12 months surgical experience post foundation programme which just sounds bizzare to me as surely someone who has already been working in a sho position for a year or two would make a better trainee than someone straight out of foundation programme with no surgical jobs under their belt at all (which is theoretically possible).
Where did you find the 12 months? It is neither mentioned in the person specifications nor in the shortlisting criteria.
How do you feel by increasing the surgical care practitioners with keeping it difficult to enter the training pathway? I mean there are a lot of doctors out there in service jobs who are dreaming about entering to specialty training!
realtimme
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where did you find the 12 months? It is neither mentioned in the person specifications nor in the shortlisting criteria.
How do you feel by increasing the surgical care practitioners with keeping it difficult to enter the training pathway? I mean there are a lot of doctors out there in service jobs who are dreaming about entering to specialty training!
sorry you're right it specifies 18 months, don't know why i had 12 months in my head there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads