STRESS!! Behind on everything:(

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I’ve started my engineering degree and I’m now on week 3. I’m struggling with how I to manage all the workload with so many deadlines and assessments and quizzes which all count towards my degree.

I’ve made lists and then lists for the lists etc and it’s all getting a bit crazy.

I have no idea how to catch up with work and secondly I need to actually take time out to learn and understand all this material.

I know I need to prioritise but literally everything is due Friday and next week. Since I’m behind, the lectures and tutorials I’m in are pointless to listen to (I do still try and understand), until I’ve done the prep work so i watch the live lectures again after.

Please help!!!
Especially if you’ve done engineering/ mechanical or aero eng.( might be able to relate a bit more)

Thanks in advance!!
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are your time management skills like?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
What are your time management skills like?
Ok? I have quite a busy timetable so I try and fit in everything around that but I’ve had quite a few things going on the last few weeks which is why I’m behind
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok? I have quite a busy timetable so I try and fit in everything around that but I’ve had quite a few things going on the last few weeks which is why I’m behind
Right, then what I'd suggest is make a list and circle the most urgent and try and get them done today/the next few days. Going forward it might be worth reading ahead and getting a handle on what your future assignments might be/when they will be due. Do you have a calendar that you use to make note of what's coming up?

It's always difficult in first year to get a hang of things, tbh it's still difficult even in final year trying to manage dissertation-related things.

Also make time for destressing. If you're so worked up that it's causing stress and difficulties that are unhelpful (stress can be useful!), then you need to make time to exercise, nourish your body and make time for dedicated self-care. This is important.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Right, then what I'd suggest is make a list and circle the most urgent and try and get them done today/the next few days. Going forward it might be worth reading ahead and getting a handle on what your future assignments might be/when they will be due. Do you have a calendar that you use to make note of what's coming up?

It's always difficult in first year to get a hang of things, tbh it's still difficult even in final year trying to manage dissertation-related things.

Also make time for destressing. If you're so worked up that it's causing stress and difficulties that are unhelpful (stress can be useful!), then you need to make time to exercise, nourish your body and make time for dedicated self-care. This is important.
Thanks for your advice!!

I don’t know how I’m ever going to get ahead when I’m so behind

Did every quiz/ assessment count in your first year too? I think it’s crazy how we’re getting assessed on things we’ve just been taught the previous week!
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
are you in first year? your work counts towards your degree?

i’m also in week 3 of second year and i’m all over the place - online uni is making is difficult for me to manage my time. stressing will only make things worse (as i have learned) and i like to have one big list for the week and then smaller lists for each day and try to roughly time manage my day.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your advice!!

I don’t know how I’m ever going to get ahead when I’m so behind

Did every quiz/ assessment count in your first year too? I think it’s crazy how we’re getting assessed on things we’ve just been taught the previous week!
Only the first assignment didn't count towards the first year grade, but then again, the first year didn't count at all towards my degree mark. But yes, this is how university is. They won't spoon feed you and it will be hard going until you get into the swing of things.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I’ve started my engineering degree and I’m now on week 3. I’m struggling with how I to manage all the workload with so many deadlines and assessments and quizzes which all count towards my degree.

I’ve made lists and then lists for the lists etc and it’s all getting a bit crazy.

I have no idea how to catch up with work and secondly I need to actually take time out to learn and understand all this material.

I know I need to prioritise but literally everything is due Friday and next week. Since I’m behind, the lectures and tutorials I’m in are pointless to listen to (I do still try and understand), until I’ve done the prep work so i watch the live lectures again after.

Please help!!!
Especially if you’ve done engineering/ mechanical or aero eng.( might be able to relate a bit more)

Thanks in advance!!
Just do 1 step at a time. Break your day into small chunks with breaks. Look back after every slot and make sure you've made some progress. You will adapt, and get through it.

Also for what its worth whilst you need to get all the credits at most unis first year doesn't count to the final classification (but ofc that doesn't mean you should take it for granted).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Just do 1 step at a time. Break your day into small chunks with breaks. Look back after every slot and make sure you've made some progress. You will adapt, and get through it.

Also for what its worth whilst you need to get all the credits at most unis first year doesn't count to the final classification (but ofc that doesn't mean you should take it for granted).
Thank you! Think I’m more stressed as my first year does count as 30% of my degree *sigh*
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! Think I’m more stressed as my first year does count as 30% of my degree *sigh*
Unusual.
Work hard & you'll get better & improve. Remember you are 3 weeks into a 3/4 year degree, and you are bound to have to adjust to the new environment & system.

Just curious, what uni is this its actually quite rare for unis to count year 1 nowadays?
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thats super odd that your first year counts. interesting. good luck with it!
Anonymous #1
Thanks everyone 💖
Anonymous #1
Just checked and my first year is actually 10% which is such a relief 😭 but still counts towards my degree :/
Arden University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Hey,

Juggling everything can be tough, are you able to contact your lecturers or student support for help? I'm actually starting a new job next month and so that will make my studying time change completely. I have devised a timetable where I am going to write down everything that is happening and when I need to do each lesson, attend online lectures (or watch the recordings). I find that I am a visual learner so if I don't understand something I read I try to find a video on it that explains it to me. If perhaps the live lectures are not working for you maybe give them a miss to free up some time, do the prep work and then watch the recording? As long as you contact that lecturer and explain why you are doing it that way I am sure they will be fine with it.
Also make sure you take breaks doing something other than uni work, I often find I come back more focused and am able to achieve more than I thought I would :-)

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Arden University)
Hey,

Juggling everything can be tough, are you able to contact your lecturers or student support for help? I'm actually starting a new job next month and so that will make my studying time change completely. I have devised a timetable where I am going to write down everything that is happening and when I need to do each lesson, attend online lectures (or watch the recordings). I find that I am a visual learner so if I don't understand something I read I try to find a video on it that explains it to me. If perhaps the live lectures are not working for you maybe give them a miss to free up some time, do the prep work and then watch the recording? As long as you contact that lecturer and explain why you are doing it that way I am sure they will be fine with it.
Also make sure you take breaks doing something other than uni work, I often find I come back more focused and am able to achieve more than I thought I would :-)

Abigail
Thanks for your response Abigail. I think I’m probably a visual learner too and would really benefit from having a timetable similar to the one you explained
Arden University
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your response Abigail. I think I’m probably a visual learner too and would really benefit from having a timetable similar to the one you explained
Hey,

No worries, mine is just a simple excel spreadsheet that has the days and dates of the week on and am/pm sections for each day as well as a space for my work commitments. It is very colourful as I have used different pens to colour coordinate different things I have going on, it sits behind my laptop so I can always see it and the best bit about it - is being able to tick off what you have achieved :-)

Abigail
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Arden University)
Hey,

No worries, mine is just a simple excel spreadsheet that has the days and dates of the week on and am/pm sections for each day as well as a space for my work commitments. It is very colourful as I have used different pens to colour coordinate different things I have going on, it sits behind my laptop so I can always see it and the best bit about it - is being able to tick off what you have achieved :-)

Abigail
Thanks Abigail
SomeWelshGuy123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you sure your first year actually counts towards classification? Normally it's get 40% and you pass the year, very rarely does first year count.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
Are you sure your first year actually counts towards classification? Normally it's get 40% and you pass the year, very rarely does first year count.
Yes it defo counts 10%
Arden University
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Hi! I unfortunately do not study engineering, however my boyfriend studies engineering and I think that I may be able to provide a little bit of insight from his perspective as well as some of my own. So my boyfriend had also struggled with catching up with the course materials and lectures he had missed. I suggested him a solution of leaving one full day to organise and spread out each topic or tasks he has to do. While doing so, he can figure out what things are most important to do. I found that he did try this, but all while still stressing out and venting about the amount of workload he's given. So I reminded him to take breaks in between to allow his brain to reset a little and to prevent him from burning out.
Aside from projects he was assigned with, which were usually done in groups so he was not alone, but with assessments and quizzes from what I can tell he really grabs the opportunity to speak to his lecturer or other people from his class to get some tips for revision or sources which can help him.
These next few days would likely be very busy for you, but try to focus mainly on what you need to do (I suggest you only plan a layout of your assessments due in for next Friday) investing your time into ensuring your study schedules are organised.
Ensure you get plenty of REST and BREAKS! I found that I end up overthinking and really struggled to relax if I overworked myself. The knowledge will be able to sink in more smoothly if you give time for your brain to breathe.
I hope this helped, even though it is not much perspective coming from someone who knows a person studying engineer. I hope you consider these tips for revision and studying into consideration for the next few days. Wishing you the best of luck!

- Danniela
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (36)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.02%

Watched Threads