I keep getting declined for a student acc at santander and hsbc

Watch
thetinyproblems
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so basically i had a basic account [which is usually for people with money/debt problems, as i read people on here initially got that then closed it to make a student account later on] and i closed that recently so i could open up a student account, because the people at the local branch said i couldnt just convert/upgrade it into a student acc, and that i had to specifically close it down.

however, i keep getting declined because of credit check and i don't know what the hell to do. like i have my loan coming in january and if i cant get a card by then idk what the hell i can do? i dont want my family/friends to have my loan because i just dont feel safe trusting them with my money (my family's abusive and i just recently gotten to know my friends here at uni.)

i went in branch to appeal this, but they turned me away when i explained what happened and im so stressed. i also tried to apply for a current account (for everyday usage, no credit, no overdraft) but they still declined due to a credit check which i thought they wouldnt do since its only debit.

i applied for a credit check, since they all used experian, but they want additional information i dont have like council tax papers, rent papers or other bills, and things that i dont have because i just became 18 recently.

ive been declined 3 times by santander (2 for student acc, 1 for an everday current acc) and 1 time by hsbc earlier in the summer. i'm afraid to apply for other student accounts at different banks incase i get declined because then my credit score will get even *****er. (i know no credit = bad credit but im a student and idk how to even build credit since i probably would be declined for a credit card anyway?)

i am really not sure what to do, and i just feel so nervous like how will i buy groceries and everything i need when hand-cash payments will become increasingly not allowed due to the pandemic and all.

i was wondering if anyone can give me advice or something? i know this is a super messy post but im just so stressed and nervous and i just have so much **** going, but thank you so much for reading
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
your credit score is just a number but your credit history matters - have you ever had a bank account closed down by the bank? Is there any chance you have a CIFAS marker? I am not sure why you went for a basic bank account before - under 18s can have bank accounts as long as they have no overdraft facilities. The number of rejections suggest something amiss in your credit history as most student accounts would expect a thin credit file due to your age.
You need to try again with Experian and the other 2 CRAs to see what your credit history shows.
thetinyproblems
Rep:
?
i haven't ever had a bank account before this basic card, so no i havent had any accounts closed by the bank and i dont think i have a CIFAS marker on me since i never received any letters or such indicating i have one?

i only went for a basic account because i got rejected at hsbc, and i went online seeing what other people with similar issue had done- which was open a basic account and then when they had some history on it they opened a student account so i thought it'd probably be best to do that?

also what do you mean by try again with experian? they'll just ask me for additional info that i cant provide :'(
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There must be a way to verify your ID with Experian - that is what they are asking for the documentation for.
Are you a UK citizen? Do you have an NI number? Are you on the electoral roll?
My daughter has had various bank accounts since she was 11 - there must be something in your files (which could be a mistake) that causes rejection.
Take a read of https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/lo...credit-report/
it tells you how to see what the 3 CRAs hold about you - for free.
thetinyproblems
Rep:
?
I'm not a british citizen, I moved here as a child with my parents when I was 8. I am on electoral roll, and I have an NI number as well.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you should be able to get through somehow then - have you tried the other 2 CRAs in the article?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
If you keep getting declined use online Bank (apps) such as Revolut and Monzo etc most of these don't have many checks and are by far much better than traditional banks in terms of user interface etc.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Monzo check CIFAS and credit data now. That is why OP needs to see what info the CRAs are holding in case there is an error that needs correcting
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
Monzo check CIFAS and credit data now. That is why OP needs to see what info the CRAs are holding in case there is an error that needs correcting
Nope, I am pretty sure it's only if OP want's to apply for large loans. But in most cases most of these banks accept people with CIFTA's. I know a friend who has a CIFTA warning but still managed to open a Monzo account 5 months ago and is still going good.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you look at any of the more recent CIFAS threads on here you will see that Monzo have changed their approach and are now checking CIFAS.
Last edited by ReadingMum; 1 month ago
thetinyproblems
Rep:
?
yeah, i've just done the two other main credit agencies they use and waiting for an email like i did with experian :/ hope i find something out about if there's a problem with my credit

i was thinking of trying monzo but if they check as well i'd just get rejected and that'd only lower my score more, i'll just have to see what the reports say :/
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thetinyproblems)
yeah, i've just done the two other main credit agencies they use and waiting for an email like i did with experian :/ hope i find something out about if there's a problem with my credit

i was thinking of trying monzo but if they check as well i'd just get rejected and that'd only lower my score more, i'll just have to see what the reports say :/
Monzo may check but they won't reject you solely based on that. They check what the marker was for and in most cases accept and open an account. You can also try Revolut, Starling, Monese etc. Most if you have a smartphone and basic internet connection you can open in minutes.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
if you get declined I am pretty sure that is on your record, so now the next bank you apply for will see you have been declined from three debit cards, you need to make sure you will be accepted before applying next time. Have you asked why/ did they tell you why you were declined in the first place?
thetinyproblems
Rep:
?
well on the emails it said due to the credit check, so if i went in person they'd just say the same thing and i've wasted my time. when i tried to appeal in person they turned me away
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
if you get declined I am pretty sure that is on your record, so now the next bank you apply for will see you have been declined from three debit cards, you need to make sure you will be accepted before applying next time. Have you asked why/ did they tell you why you were declined in the first place?
Delines (or acceptances) don't show - only the credit search shows.
PurpleBanshee_.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well on the emails it said due to the credit check, so if i went in person they'd just say the same thing and i've wasted my time. when i tried to appeal in person they turned me away
if you say your family is abusive, maybe they've used your name to take out loans or contracts. I know of parents that have fone this and tarnished their childrens name and credit from very young ages so that they don't know and can't argue against it. Also I don't think Monzo do a credit check, I opened an account quite easily with them.
thetinyproblems
Rep:
?
(Original post by PurpleBanshee_.)
if you say your family is abusive, maybe they've used your name to take out loans or contracts. I know of parents that have fone this and tarnished their childrens name and credit from very young ages so that they don't know and can't argue against it. Also I don't think Monzo do a credit check, I opened an account quite easily with them.
i don't know if they've ever done that, but then again like you said, most children don't really know of things like that so maybe that is something that happened and just never knew about it.. i might give monzo a shot then, since i heard they have a good reputation from friends and other young people who use it
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i haven't ever had a bank account before this basic card, so no i havent had any accounts closed by the bank and i dont think i have a CIFAS marker on me since i never received any letters or such indicating i have one?
You don't necessarily get told that a Cifas marker has been registered.

Submit a Data Subject Access Request to Cifas -- instructions can be found here: https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/...access-request -- then you'll know for sure whether you have a Cifas marker, and which company registered it.

Plus, as others have suggested, get a copy of your statutory credit report from the three main credit reference agencies: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.21%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.91%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
30.03%

Watched Threads