The Student Room Group

Aqa 10 marker history question a level

Using your understanding of the historical context, assess how convincing the arguments in this extract are in relation to Threats to Henry VII’s position on the Throne. (10 marks)

The source:

Henry VII became king under better circumstances than any other ursurper in late medieval England. Like Henry VI he had enormous advantage of replacing a king who had been widely disliked, although the lingering affection for Richard III in the North might prove to be a problem. Unlike both Henry VI and Richard IV he started with the advantage of his predecessor already dead. Unlike both he had no powerful kingmaker to contend with; the noble house that gained most from Henry’s accession was that of Stanley’s, the family into which Henry’s mother Margaret Beaufort had married and it was improbable that the head of the family Lord Stanley would lead a rebellion against his own stepson.

Do you think this source is convincing or unconvincing.

I need two quotes which show its convincing and 1 unconvincing and then conclusion or vice versa. Any points and analysis, evaluation thanks
What does 'convincing' mean to you? :smile:
How do you decide what is convincing and what isn't?
Original post by safahJ
Supported by your subject knowledge
Sorry for the slow reply:

Does your subject knowledge of the period support what the source is suggesting?
Original post by safahJ
Honestly i dont even know. Its confusing me

Okay, from your own knowledge of usurping Monarchs in the late Medieval period, do you agree with the source?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Okay, from your own knowledge of usurping Monarchs in the late Medieval period, do you agree with the source?

Have you studied the tudors before? Do you think the source is convincing in relation to threats to Henry’s position?

I feel like some parts of a quote can be debated either side thats why i cannot even come to a conclusion.
Original post by safahJ
Have you studied the tudors before? Do you think the source is convincing in relation to threats to Henry’s position?

I feel like some parts of a quote can be debated either side thats why i cannot even come to a conclusion.
I have, but it's not about what I think.

Which bits? It's great that you're splitting up into chunks - that's the best way of going about this. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17

Which bits? It's great that you're splitting up into chunks - that's the best way of going about this. :biggrin:

I think that what the source is saying is true but in relation to the actual questions its asking i dont really know what to say. What do u think?
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17

Hi have u received my message.
Original post by safahJ
I think that what the source is saying is true but in relation to the actual questions its asking i dont really know what to say. What do u think?

Great, that's a starting point.

"On the whole, I believe that this source is a convincing interpretation of the Monarchy in late Medieval England. In particular..."

Why do you think what the source is saying is true?

Quick Reply

Latest